trangia 25

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RedFox

Jun 1, 2006
Slovenia
I have problems with modern gas/petrol stoves. They are realy unreliable. Now I have idea to switch to alcohol stove. I have been looking for trangia stoves. And now question.

Is it possible to use trangia 25 for familly cooking ( 2 adults and 3 children)?

Thank you in advance and regards from Slovenia.

Luka

Karl5

Life Member
May 16, 2007
Switzerland
I've used a Trangia 25 for 3 adults on week-long hikes, and it's worked well.
With 2 adults and 3 children - Depending on how old your children are, the standard Trangia 25 may be too small for you.
What you in that case could do, if you want to stick with Trangia, is get a bigger pot from their scouting series (like this).
They still fit on top of the regular trangia stove the same way the frying pan does, and should provide you with ample cooking volumes.

Otherwise, if it's allowed where you're going, there's always the possibility with cooking over open fires. If that's an option for you, you have a multitude of pots (from different manufacturers) to choose from, and can pick just the right sizes to fit you needs.

Cheers,
/ Karl

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
I've used a Trangia 25 for 3 adults on week-long hikes, and it's worked well.
With 2 adults and 3 children - Depending on how old your children are, the standard Trangia 25 may be too small for you.
What you in that case could do, if you want to stick with Trangia, is get a bigger pot from their scouting series (like this).
They still fit on top of the regular trangia stove the same way the frying pan does, and should provide you with ample cooking volumes.

I would agree with Karl, but would say that whatever you can cook would be rather limited as you can only cook with one pan at a time. Whenever I take the tribe camping (2 adults, 2 kids) I always take two Trangias - 1 x 25 & 1 x 27 with kettle.

I find that this makes meal times much easier. But if cost is a problem why not buy 2 Swedish Army Trangias - you cam pick up unused examples for about £10 - £12 if you shop around.

Hope that is of some help.

Simon

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
Is it possible to use trangia 25 for familly cooking ( 2 adults and 3 children)?
Luka
Luka, I agree, I doubt that it would be big enough, however I would like to add that I use a normal kettle with mine as I find the trangia one is too small unless there is only two of us.

My daughter and I only use a Trangia 25 when we go camping. We normally cook pasta first, then leave it in the hot water covered up with a towel and jumper while we cook the meat.

When that is done we put the pasta back on the heat for a minute and everything is nice and hot :)

We also use a small enamle kettle rather than the Trangia one because it is bigger. It takes longer to boil but we both drink lots of coffee so its worth it :)

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
I still have my Swedish army Trangia and its a really nice piece of kit (especially for the outstanding price!), but I havn't used it since getting the model 25. In fact since I got the gas convertor I havn't used anything else for trips with only a couple of us :)

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
Be aware meths is poor in cold weather, and can be tricky to ignite. Also, it contains less energy per kg than oil/petrol.

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
The gas isn't too clever in really gold weather either unless you keep the cylanders warm.

Trangia do a petrol convertor now, but its best part of £100 which puts the whole price firmly in MSR territory, or even slightly more!

antwerpman

Apr 29, 2006
belgium
Be aware meths is poor in cold weather, and can be tricky to ignite. Also, it contains less energy per kg than oil/petrol.
I used mine at -12°C without any problem. Just put the trangia fuel container in your pocket for ten minutes and afterwards it will ignite without a problem

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
The Nova or Omnifuel mounted in the 25 works so well. The adaptor costs only a few quid from http://www.base-camp.co.uk/ and takes no time to fit. I have adapted a gas burner to fit a Trangia clone, but as you all know, gas ain't great in winter although it worked fine in warmer months

A problem for many novice Trangia users is the correct use of the simmer ring, I've read many times how the simmer ring "does not work", it does work, and work very well. That said, you need to practise with it at home before you take it out for real. You can get some very good simmer times on one fill of a Trangia burner when you have the 'knack'

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE