"Tramp Camping" by W.L.Pember

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Haven't found much and what little I have found probably isn't very useful. I'll post it in case it leads to an 'Ah-ha' moment to someone else.

Tramp-camping
by W. L Pember

Availability: Currently unavailable. We don't know when or if this title will be in stock again.

• Unknown Binding: 95 pages
• Publisher: E. Benn ltd (1928)
• Language: English
• ASIN: B00088E1QS •

Tramp-camping,
W. Leonard Pember
Unknown Binding - E. Benn, ltd (1927) - 95 Pages
ASIN: B0008BYQXI

Both sites are holding no stock.
I get the feeling that both he, most of his books, and his publisher are being hidden by that 'Damned Elusive Pimpernel!' :D

Mirius

Nomad
Jun 2, 2007
North Surrey
From what I can see Benn Brothers did not become Benn & Gollancz, instead, Gollancz left Benn Brothers in 1927. If Pember was signed up by Gollancz then there is a good chance that there will be some records available in Warwick.

What about Saffy's version? Who by and when was it published?

Wayland

Hárbarðr
From what I can see Benn Brothers did not become Benn & Gollancz, instead, Gollancz left Benn Brothers in 1927. If Pember was signed up by Gollancz then there is a good chance that there will be some records available in Warwick.

Quite right, serves me right for scanning and not reading properly. :rolleyes:

saffy

Forager
Feb 2, 2007
UK

Tramp-Camping
W.L.PEMBER

LONDON
Ernest Benn Limited

Printed in Great Britain
by Burleigh Ltd., at THE BURLEIGH PRESS, Bristol.

They only date I have ever seen is at the end of the Authors Foreward where he signs and dates LONDON 1927.

My copy is not in the best of states, I have had it since child, used and loved.
Attached are a couple of photos (not scans) to help other identify the book and know what to look for in book shops.

STA70711%20(Small).JPG

STA70712%20(Small).JPG

STA70713%20(Small).JPG

STA70710%20(Small).JPG

STA70714%20(Small).JPG

STA70715%20(Small).JPG

Mirius

Nomad
Jun 2, 2007
North Surrey
It's a pity that Ernest Benn Ltd was dissolved in 1998, else we might have had some chance at getting more information. Or that his family had archived the information as did Gollancz's! If Gollancz had signed up Pember then we could have checked on the Gollancz's notes.

This sort of thing must have been popular at the time:

Graham, Stephen The Gentle Art of Tramping

Ernest Benn Ltd., London
Erscheinungsjahr: 1931
Seiten: 190
Sprache: Deu
Know how to tramp and you know how to live. Manners makyth man, and tramping makyth manners. A lyrically written book about travelling on foot, offering advice on what to wear, where to shelter, whom to go with, what to sing as you tramp, etc. etc. Budget travel around the world in the 1930's.The author wrote this book in a Dalmatian village and some in the lovely city of Ragusa. The knapsack, and what to put in it; the bed, and where to make it; the free meal, and where to scrounge it; here are but a few of the facts that you will learn on your way. If you meet my gypsy book, cross the bookseller's hand with silver and you will learn what is to be your luck on the road.
Gewicht: 251 g

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
A sort of related story, with a bit of info pertaining to this thread. It seems writers have their work copyrighted for life and then 70 year afterwards, according to this report.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/rtrs/20070724/tuk-uk-britain-copyright-fa6b408.html

Thats true, but as has been mentioned it depends what they do in their will. Most famous example, is Peter Pan which is owned by Great Ormonds street, but I think Baden Powell, and Kipling both gave their rights so the copyright still lives on.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE