Trail Cam, Nest Cam etc. Wildlife Photos and Videos

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Trig

Nomad
Jun 1, 2013
Scotland
Thanks.
Not too impressed with most of the dark night footage so far,its usually too bright to make anything out. I think it might be because im setting them up too close to branches or grass though, and thats interfering with the light. The badger and deer shot turned out alright, and there was nothing close to the camera.

Tried setting up on a post beside a mound of dirt where birds of prey, and likely a peregrine sit. Turns out they also sit on top of the post to do the toilet, and my camera was in the way, so.... :yuck: Lesson #4
Need to rethink that one.

Reactions: Nomad64

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
Just temp rigged up our trail cam. Got some video of one of our pair of woodpeckers....They seem to like the peanuts.

46131223702_de62b464aa_c.jpg
DSCF0054[/url] by Bob Dysart, on Flickr[/IMG]

46131223702_de62b464aa_c.jpg

....gaaah, cant seem to link a video in, oh well....

Reactions: Nomad64

Lou

Settler
Feb 16, 2011
the French Alps
twitter.com
Pix posted on the Hare thread but thought it was worth giving this thread a “bump”. :)

Ah, glad you bumped this thread. I saw that almost exactly a year ago I was looking at getting one of these but didn't. I'm thinking about it again. I came up with the Earthtree cam on Amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07H4CX...olid=1CTGG7FJTGH0K&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it but I haven't ordered it yet. I found some good spots around the place. I crammed myself into the crook of a tree a couple of days ago and had a young deer pass within 6 feet of me, so I guess I don't really need a trail cam for that place but since we lost the dog I have noticed more signs of wildlife in the garden and a week ago started putting out the dog's dry food in the evenings with some of her raw meat I had to use up from freezer and Brazil nuts and apples. Every night the food has disappeared and I thought it may be the local cats but the nuts have been eaten too so I can only imagine it may be a badger or possibly a fox. I desperately want to know who is coming as I am finding it pretty impossible to stay up into the night to watch, so I think a trail cam will be ordered pretty soon.

Putting out dead rats/mice etc on a fence is a good idea. We had a plague of mice last summer (caught over 300 in the house and garden alone) so I wish I had known about that trick then!

Jan 6, 2019
West of Ireland
I posted on the hare thread, but thought I might mention it here. I had mentioned catching a Pinemartin on a still pic. So thought he must be about a bit, how to I attract him. Peanut butter is always an interesting one. Gave it a week and 30 videos, Got several short videos of magpies jumping at the tree trying to latch on, one eventually managed and got to eat the peanut butter. Quite amusing videos, they look like they are trying flying kicks at the tree. But also caught the pinemartin as well, he runs up the tree, past the butter, but returns and eats it. Very happy to have caught him. Also now know I get two different foxes, one had a bobbed tail, only one video of the hare's though which I thought surprising

Reactions: Lou

bearbait

I baited my trailcam up in my woodland a few days ago with a very old joint of lamb from the freezer. The meat was well pegged to the ground, or so I thought.

Just 18 hours later I got a lovely video of my neighbour's sheep dog enjoying the joint and eventually loosing it from the ground with some violent tugging and then taking his very own "doggy bag" off home.

I did manage to get a decent clip of a buzzard at around dawn before the theft. And a fox and hedgehog scouting for scraps after the joint had gone. Plus the "thief" returning to the scene of the crime to see if any more meals had miraculously appeared every day or so!

Any suggestions on fixing the bait to the ground sufficiently well to minimise the chance of the dog managing to do it again?

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Theres an area near me that i suspect has pine martens, but ive had no luck getting one on camera. May need to try the peanut butter

Great shots!
One guy I knew near Fort William used to put out peanut butter and blackcurrant jam sandwiches and the pine martins came every night - right up to our feet whilst we were sipping malt on their patio! :)

Jan 6, 2019
West of Ireland
Refreshed the peanut butter over the weekend and recharged the batteries. Didn't get to check the images though. The only laptop I have access to is my work one, but the USBs and card reader are locked out. So usually I head over to my parents house to check the card, but ran out of time before I had to head back for work. Next weekend though I should have more time

Trig

Nomad
Jun 1, 2013
Scotland
Great shots!
One guy I knew near Fort William used to put out peanut butter and blackcurrant jam sandwiches and the pine martins came every night - right up to our feet whilst we were sipping malt on their patio! :)

Problem is, if i make sandwiches, by the time ive got to the woods ill have none left. Gonna have to stick to the jarred stuff :)

Refreshed the peanut butter over the weekend and recharged the batteries. Didn't get to check the images though. The only laptop I have access to is my work one, but the USBs and card reader are locked out. So usually I head over to my parents house to check the card, but ran out of time before I had to head back for work. Next weekend though I should have more time

Whats best to do with the peanut butter, just smear it onto the tree? Do birds not get most of it that way?
Stuck my cameras up before for pine martens, but had no luck, so i need to try peanut butter out maybe.

Lou

Settler
Feb 16, 2011
the French Alps
twitter.com
Whats best to do with the peanut butter, just smear it onto the tree? Do birds not get most of it that way?
Stuck my cameras up before for pine martens, but had no luck, so i need to try peanut butter out maybe.

I think just smearing it on trees would be a good idea. This guy on Twitter has given me loads of advice on pine martens @pinetencolin he also leaves eggs out at feeding stations which are basically raised platforms in the forest.

Reactions: Lugh Lámfada
Jan 6, 2019
West of Ireland
Trig, I chanced my arm with the peanut butter, so what worked for me might have but pure chance. But I did catch him. All I did was smeared the tree in a 3 inch square patch about chest height.
Magpie's went mad trying to get it, but I caught no other bird at it, doesn't mean they were not at it though.

Reactions: Trig

Trig

Nomad
Jun 1, 2013
Scotland
I think just smearing it on trees would be a good idea. This guy on Twitter has given me loads of advice on pine martens @pinetencolin he also leaves eggs out at feeding stations which are basically raised platforms in the forest.

Nice link, hes got some great clips. Especially of the badger trying to get down off the feeding platform. :)

Trig

Nomad
Jun 1, 2013
Scotland
The link takes me to a single video file if thats what you intended. Can view it fine. Might need an xxx tag though :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE