Traditions of the Sami & Nenet Reindeer Herders (warning - picture of dead reindeer)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

timboggle

Nomad
Nov 1, 2008
Hereford, UK
I came across an interesting article about the Nenet Reindeer herders of Siberia recently and found that their tradition of drinking Reindeer blood is very similar to that of the Sami.

I must admit the first time I was invited to join in with this tradition, after assisting in skinning a Reindeer with the Innari Sami in Norway a few years back, was met with some trepidation, and still is, even after doing it several times since.

We then use the remainder of the blood to make Pancakes.

Has any other folks participated in this ritual and if given the opportunity would you do it or decline it?

Here's the Article link

And below is a couple of pics:
Top - Bleeding the Reindeer
Bottom - Skinning the Reindeer, note the bowl and cups in the snow, right handside
:)

Last edited:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I may be seen as odd here - but I like the taste of blood!I do not get to indulge in it much, and have only had beef blood (and my own when smacked in the chops or been to the dentist) but it aint too bad!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Is it not a kind of world wide thing among animal herders ?
The Masai mix it with milk I was told.

Tbh though, I think they'd like black pudding :D
It could be culture altering experience for them ;)
Do they not make sausagey things ?

Interesting post, thanks for the link :D I can't see why that wouldn't work with red deer, you know on the farms sort of thing.

cheers,
Toddy

timboggle

Nomad
Nov 1, 2008
Hereford, UK
Aye Toddy, you're right about the Masai, they mix it with Goats milk, it's also part of a young man's 'rite of passage'

The pancakes we made were basically just like plate sized black puddings, as can be seen in the pic below left, and yes, we retreived the intestine skins to make sausages as seen in the pic below right - they waste nothing.

Tengu, I totally understand mate - not everyones cup of tea.

John, I don't think you're odd at all mate
:)

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2009
My Front Room
Similar experience in Africa with goats blood and intestines.
I admit when the finished article was cooked and presented I couldnt get my mind off the conditions it had been prepared in and declined politely.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE