Traditional steel wanted ?

Paullyfuzz

Sep 28, 2007
Manchester
Does anybody know where i can buy a traditional, knuckleduster type steel ?
Would like to add one to my flint fire lighting kit, but dont know where to get em.

Cheers,

Paul

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Mike Ameling (The grumpy blacksmith) from this parish makes excellent strikers - trades on Ebay as
line-shack-rider
, but has no listings at the moment.

I have 3 of his steels and they all throw great sparks. Drop him a PM to see what he can do for you.

Simon

Paullyfuzz

Sep 28, 2007
Manchester
Mike Ameling (The grumpy blacksmith) from this parish makes excellent strikers - trades on Ebay as , but has no listings at the moment.

I have 3 of his steels and they all throw great sparks. Drop him a PM to see what he can do for you.

Simon

Cheers, will do, whats his user name ?

Paul

Doh, im an idiot. Try Mike Ameling eh !

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
There are a number of people here on BCUK that make them. Just check some of the posts on the Firecraft subforum.

But you might also check with Eric Methven. He got a bunch of strikers from me to take to some of the Historical gatherings. He might still have some left. He got a wide variety of styles/shapes, include those ovals he made up into kits and listed in the classifieds.

The only real drawback to getting one from me is the shipping "across the pond". But that really isn't bad. It usually runs around $4 usd to ship by International First Class mail.

Mikey - that grumpy ol' German blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
I've still got that 'Welsh' pattern one. The big chunky 'C' type. It could be used as a knuckle duster if you were of the rough persuasion.

sm-firesteel006.jpg

PM me Paul if you are interested.

Eric

NatG

Settler
Apr 4, 2007
Southend On Sea
I've still got that 'Welsh' pattern one. The big chunky 'C' type. It could be used as a knuckle duster if you were of the rough persuasion.

sm-firesteel006.jpg

PM me Paul if you are interested.

Eric

That looks realy nice, but be a bit careful about saying it could be used as a knuckleduster, it could land you in hot water mate

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
The only real drawback to getting one from me is the shipping "across the pond". But that really isn't bad. It usually runs around $4 usd to ship by International First Class mail.

Mike you are too modest. It is cheaper to buy from you than from a shop just down the road, even with the shipping.

Throw in the excellent quality and its a no brainer.

Simon

Paullyfuzz

Sep 28, 2007
Manchester
Does nybody else make em apart from Mike Ameling and Dave Budd ?

I know Dave's stuff is quality, but his steels are a little too expensive for me. Im not saying they are not worth it, just too much for me.

Paul

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
That thick simple C striker that Eric posted a pic of is based upon an original from the Museum of Welsh Life that was dated to 1590. They called it a "rural" striker. But it's just a simple, basic, user tool.

Go to the Firecraft subforum of the the Bushcraft Survival Skills section. And then either do a search for "flint striker" or look through the last page or three of message threads. There have been several that have lists of people making flint strikers.

Mikey - that grumpy ol' German blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
Does nybody else make em apart from Mike Ameling and Dave Budd ?

I know Dave's stuff is quality, but his steels are a little too expensive for me. Im not saying they are not worth it, just too much for me.

Paul

I've seen a lot of steels at shows being sold for more and none of them work very well, so I always let people try first just to put them at ese :)

give me a budget and I'll give a steel to match ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE