Traditional Overnighter (pic heavy)

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
I had a great weekend! Went to a nature reserve on friday and saw Emperor Dragonflys, went camping on saturday and a spot of fishing on sunday afternoon. All in the blazing sunshine, still content even after the monday I had so it must've been good ;).

Anyway thought I'd share my camping trip on saturday night. A friend asked if I fancied a night out and not being one to turn down an opportunity thought I'd give my traditional kit list a try out...

The forest was filled with sunshine and the smell of pine...

035_zps95214ee2.jpg

Spent sometime trying to find a good pitch for the Polish Lavvu half, using three sticks and some jute twine I came up with this. If you lay asymmetrically it provides enough cover for the Czech bed roll and some room for the pack to boot.

018_zps855c56d6.jpg

Kris was using a TW Green Hornet with the Sargasso tarp.

022_zps42473215.jpg

And yours truly with my shelter, not very traditional clothes I'm afraid. But hey it was far too hot for wool :)!

027_zpsbdd67a89.jpg

Our camp

005_zps81c38e1d.jpg

019_zps9525287b.jpg

Gathered some fire wood and had a bottle of ale to fortify ourselves then went for a walk through the woods. It was great to reach the forest edge were the breeze could get in and cool us down. Nice view too.

051_zps1961799a.jpg

052_zps0550c20c.jpg

Now onto fire, we both were successful with the flint and steel, here's some pics of my fire kit in action.

059_zps4095cc11.jpg

100_zps458cf418.jpg

129_zps5c76c766.jpg

141_zpsf88ea9cb.jpg

Dinner tonight was a fine thing indeed, Ribeye steak roasted over the fire with red onion sauteed in port and a liberal spread of french mustard. Yum.

157_zps929cbc79.jpg

160_zpsa70f6bda.jpg

Spent the evening putting the world to rights, enjoying the fire and finished off the port along with a pipe.

compjuly_zps8564683b.jpg

185_zpsd3f408c8.jpg

Had a very comfy nights sleep, I didn't even need the bed roll really. Used it as a mattress and just slept under my blanket. Woke up to a few insect bites, should have applied more stupid simple midge repel before bed (the port might of lead to this slip :rolleyes:) all credit to the stuff though, it had kept us bug free all day long.

Ate some bacon wraps and coffee, packed up and had a tidy round then headed home.

199_zps03c715eb.jpg

Cheers!

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Looks like a good time, and a really nice camp. Your tugging my heartstrings with the food though great combo, especially when rounded off with port and a puff. Keep the trip reports coming I'm camping vicariously at the moment.

ATB,
GB.

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Looks like a lovely time out. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers Niels, it was a real nice time out.

Great report, cheers.:approve:

Great stuff, nice old pack.

C.

Thanks, tbh the pack was murder to actually carry but I'll take a little form over function (as long as it's not too far to walk ;)). Its a Swedish M39 pack, not bad for a tenner.

Awesome stuff mate
hadn't thought of pitching lavvu like that

Thanks, I was pretty pleased with the pitch. Not sure I'd trust it in heavy weather but should see me through a light shower.

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
great stuff, nice pitching of the lavvu

Cheers!

Looks like a good time, and a really nice camp. Your tugging my heartstrings with the food though great combo, especially when rounded off with port and a puff. Keep the trip reports coming I'm camping vicariously at the moment.

ATB,
GB.

Cheers GB. Forgot to mention, it was all served in black olive ciabatta. A sandwich of kings :D.

Thanks for sharing your trip out.:)

Thanks!

Very nice looking trip. Loving your setup, but please stop. Its making me want more traditional kit and a chance to use it.

Port and a pipe too. Can I come ;)

Haha I blame Sam, anytime buddy :)

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Nice report.... gives me even more inspiration to get my retro kit sorted and get out there..., thanks for sharing:)

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
You can have port and an invite too ;).

And well you did start it with all this Daniel Boone malarky... I was quite happy enough under nylon and wrapped in gore-tex until then :D!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE