Traditional Kayak Building Course

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
There is a post about a traditional kayak building course on Song of the Paddle and I thought some members here might be interested.

http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=21006

No connection etc etc.

Sean Gallagher is a native Inupiat Eskimo from Alaska. He is a craftsman who continues the skill passed on by his grandparents in making traditional frame and skin kayaks. They were from the remote King Island which is located in the Bering Sea approximately 70 miles off the coast of Alaska. The King Island kayak was invented out of necessity to survive the harsh conditions on King Island and were used for trade, hunting and transportation. The kayak itself is said to date back about three to five thousand years. Construction was undertaken in the summer months on the small beaches of the island. The frames were constructed with driftwood. Kayak construction was carried out with minimal tools and without the aid of metal fasteners or nails, using wood pegs and lashing instead. The lashing was sourced from the caribou herdsmen on the mainland through trade, or alternatively strips of whale baleen was used. The skin of the kayaks was split walrus skin from the early spring hunts.

The relationship between the men and their kayaks was strong and almost spiritual. Kayaks were considered to have a life force of their own and the men would go as far as to make grooves in the kayak gunnels to give it a blood line. The relationship with the Kayak had to be strong and healthy because this was the life blood of the community. The kayak was the lifeline to the island.
Sean has developed his own company Anayak Kayaks constructing these traditional craft and teaching others in workshops. Sean visited Scotland in 2008 to teach his first workshop outside North America to a small group in the borders. He is keen to return to Scotland to teach further courses.

Proposal
To organise and co-ordinate the kayak building workshop for the Clyde Muirshiel Park Authority, to be based within the park, possibly within the Castle Semple Centre. This could represent a rare opportunity to showcase a unique craft and could attract participants from far afield as well as attracting significant numbers of visitors and being a focus for media attention.
The course will have a maximum of 6 participants and will have a duration of 6-10 days. included will be purchase of tools, equipment and materials including timber, accomodation, staff time and food. The total cost will be in the region of it will cost in the region of £7-800/per person

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
I'd loved to have gone too, at the very least it'd stop me buying any more books on the subject.:rolleyes:
Don't have nearly enough holidays left though.

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
I am not sure there are more details yet. it might be worth keeping an eye on the SotP thread although i will try and remember to post any updated here. At the moment I think this is still at the assessing interest stage so not a certainty to run yet.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE