traditional camp!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Early yesterday morning we set off to the woods to spend the night out and practice some skills. we arrived in our spot before 9am, having hiked a few miles. The weather was glorious although the forecast predicted otherwise. We proccessed some wood and made oursleves a brew, foraged a salad from baby birch and beech leaves and some wood sorrel, we had some jack by the hedge earlier but unfortunately there wasnt any near our camp. The tarp went up a breeze and I was traditional camping as per the gear in the other thread. For tea we had some sirlion steak to cookm and a butty to put it in, my oh my was that delicous! I started the fires with flint and steel and some bark from a small stand of yellow birches and it was peeling unbelievably well, that bark was dead and prime for the tinder bundle. I made a reflector from a large branch a silver birch had dropped, it worked well but we took it out late at night as we didnt want to have lots of partially burnt green wood, so we removed it- it was good while it was in though! We made some skewers fro some green hazel and used one for our steak and one for the bacon in the morning. An improvised bench from a dead tree trunk was a lovely seet and blendede back in to the woods just were we found it. Unfortunately it chucked it down in the morning but we packed up before it started and headed back and i didnt get wet at all, I was comfy hiking with all my clothes on without getting wet or breaking a sweat. It was a great trip in a lovley are, and as always we left no trace. here are some pictures:

imagejpg1_zps89272e25.jpg

imagejpg2_zps31b69e6a.jpg

imagejpg3_zps0b709d83.jpg

imagejpg2_zpse038b6c8.jpg

imagejpg1_zps396caaeb.jpg

imagejpg3_zps4bb210ff.jpg

imagejpg1_zps4ef040ce.jpg

imagejpg2_zpsb9b1df8b.jpg

imagejpg3_zps88914a63.jpg

imagejpg3_zps70127cd8.jpg

imagejpg2_zpsb2b3720b.jpg

imagejpg1_zpsfd177c4b.jpg

imagejpg2_zps536a7854.jpg

imagejpg1_zps81b6cde0.jpg

imagejpg2_zps004a00a3.jpg

imagejpg3_zps0acac879.jpg

imagejpg2_zpsd8c476f3.jpg

imagejpg1_zps51266fbf.jpg

imagejpg3_zps994a31d5.jpg

imagejpg3_zps4098251c.jpg

imagejpg3_zpseb67d494.jpg

imagejpg2_zpsdced2fa2.jpg

imagejpg1_zps3429f36e.jpg

imagejpg1_zpsb5ea82b1.jpg

Warning, Nature story:

We were sat in camp and head a snapping noise on a tree above us, we thought it was a branch snapping off but then saw a grey thing about the size of a tennis ball hurtling toward us. I thought it was a rock but it landed and it was a baby bird with no head that had missed us by inches! It appered as if an owl or other bird of prey had dropped it by accident right above us, wasnt half odd!

imagejpg2_zpsdc49405c.jpg

Well I hope you enjoyed this quick report! thanks for looking! :)

Last edited:

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Looks great Cameron, the food is making my mouth water. Some tasty kit too :).

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
nicely done buddy.

I am actively jealous of your youth wish I had spent more time in the woods when i was younger instead of getting upto mischief.
oh well I'll just have to relive it with my son :)

Thanks Sam! And yeah I bet he'll love it, it was my favourite thing to day throughout my childhood! :)

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Wow Cam,

Great trip and report. Nice to see such a well executed camp. Everything well prepared, neatly done and obviously thought out before hand. Pretty much text-book and so good to see. You could have a future in the industry I think if you wanted too.

Nice kit too, and well looked after, looks like everything is clean and sharp (going by the log and feather stick prep anyway.)

Like Copperhead the steak juice on your fingers makes the steak and natural salad bun meal is making me hungry. (Now why didn't ya cook the little birdy too?:p)

Keep it up and post more soon please,
GB.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Wow Cam,

Great trip and report. Nice to see such a well executed camp. Everything well prepared, neatly done and obviously thought out before hand. Pretty much text-book and so good to see. You could have a future in the industry I think if you wanted too.

Nice kit too, and well looked after, looks like everything is clean and sharp (going by the log and feather stick prep anyway.)

Like Copperhead the steak juice on your fingers makes the steak and natural salad bun meal is making me hungry. (Now why didn't ya cook the little birdy too?:p)

Keep it up and post more soon please,
GB.

Cheers Colin! That means a lot! :)

atlatlman

Settler
Dec 21, 2006
ipswich
That's a great little set up you have there Cameron. I wish the camp gods would drop food out of the sky for me when I'm camping.:D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE