Tradition... Recieve a knife, give a coin...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
For about the third time today I'm watching the episode of Ray Mears, Bushcraft where he's in Sweden and has a knife blade made by Julius Pettersson.
When he gets the knife he says:

"I think there's a tradition which we both share, both in England and in Sweden, and that is, if somebody gives you a knife, you must give them a silver coin lest the blade cut a friendship."

I find this kind of thing really interesting, and find myself wondering...

Where does the tradition come from?
What does the giving of a coin do to avoid the friendship being cut?
And, perhaps most importantly of all, does it just need to be a silver-coloured coin as we have in the UK (not a scrap of silver in them), or does it need to contain actual silver like they used to? (50% to a bit over 90% depending on how far back you go)

I'm looking forwards to any responses and information people have on this one.

Cheers folks.

alpha_centaur

Settler
Jan 2, 2006
Millport, Scotland
I've always heard that it was simply a coin, not necessarily a silver one.

I suppose it's similar to the idea of never giving an empty wallet, as an empty wallet symbolises poverty

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire

I suppose it's similar to the idea of never giving an empty wallet, as an empty wallet symbolises poverty

That's my take too.

Means you're even and not beholden I suppose.

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
I suppose that if the recipient at any point down the line cuts themself with the knife, they'll think of the person who gave / made the knife, and this could seed bad feelings. By having the recipient give you a coin, it turns it into a financial transaction,

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire

I heard that giving knives and wallets as presents is bad luck, so giving or returning a coin makes it a transaction so to speak :dunno:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Now I heard its giving an empty wallet - you must put money in it!

As for knives, yes, it should be a transaction.

I have also heard that you should never haggle over the price of a knife

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Back when I went to colege to get my fashion diploma (some 25 years ago) I bought a got set of dressmaking shears, embroidery scissors and a |"scissor tuner" made by Wilkinson Sword (I think) they were top quality and are still my main tools for all clothing /fabric work.
In the packaging, in its own moulded plastic dimple, was a bright shiny brand new 1pence coin....the idea being that if the set was given as a gift then the recipient could instantly give the giver a coin....
So Wilky Sword hold that you give a coin - any coin - for a sharp - any sharp!
When I give a knife as a gift, with no return gift (transaction) or reward, I include a 5p piece so that the recipient has a coin to give me.....

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
I understood that it was to turn the gift into a 'purchased item' as well

I have always tried to keep the tradition (I think its nice rather than anything superstisous) ut lile Johns idea of sending a coin with a gifted knife - will be doing that in future! ;)

which reminds me my daughter owes me some dosh! :rolleyes: :D

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
When my wife and I got married, we got a set of kitchen knives as a present, and the giver asked us for a coin in exchange.

BritishRed...
...I wonder, was that one started by knifemakers sick of people trying to save a few quid? Haha.

Well it seems this tradition is far more widespread than I'd thought. I don't remember coming across it before.
It also seems the consensus is on turning the gift into a transaction.

So, noone knows where it comes from?
I'd really like to know the origin of this one.

Matt.S

Native
Mar 26, 2008
Exeter, Devon
There is a certain tradition, in the US at least, that if a blacksmith uses the tools of another smith they should give payment. However no blacksmith should receive payment for lending the use of their tools to another smith, so visiting smiths put a penny on the floor of the smithy, and it should be left there. I don't know if these traditions are related.

tenderfoot

Nomad
May 17, 2008
north west uk
I dont know about the knife thing but a purse or wallet in our family was never given as a gift without a coin in it. my gran was scottish and she called this coin a hansel or handsel?
She used the word as a verb too as in hanseling the wallet. Any scots out there know this one.? gaelic origin ?or just glasgow vernacular? you dont ever remove the coin so your purse is never empty.There is something about silver too I remember she always used a sixpence these used to be silver.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
I dont know about the knife thing but a purse or wallet in our family was never given as a gift without a coin in it. my gran was scottish and she called this coin a hansel or handsel?
She used the word as a verb too as in hanseling the wallet. Any scots out there know this one.? gaelic origin ?or just glasgow vernacular? you dont ever remove the coin so your purse is never empty.There is something about silver too I remember she always used a sixpence these used to be silver.
Handselling is a way of giving/passing on the gift of 'good luck', so if you put a coin in a purse, as a Handsel gift, it’s a way of saying “may the purse never be empty” My mother used to do it, and she is not Scottish

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Our Xmas stockings always used to contain a bright shiny penny - not to be spent - as a wish that we would always have some money...even if it was only a penny!

Claudiasboris

Life Member
Feb 8, 2009
Sheffield
I've known of the "coin for a knife" tradition for a while. It's the reason that I don't receive sharps from my girlfriend as presents, because she wants to give me a gift not engage in a transaction.

It just means I have to buy my own knives :-(

Claudiasboris

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE