Tracks in the snow

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
I apologise if this should be in the Tracking Sub-Forum, but there didn't seem to be much there so wasn't sure if it is in use still? MODs please move this thread if its in the wrong place.

Anyway, I was just (around 10:00 - 11:00 pm) up at the local woods (I had to go to drain down a cabin to stop pipes bursting) and had a fantastic opportunity to do a little tracking as there were many undisturbed tracks in the snow, and the moonlight & my headtorch helped identify them by casting shadows in the depressions.

They were mainly squirrels tracks, with the occasional rabbit / hare (unsure which).

However, I was most pleased when I came across a couple of sets of tracks from badgers crossing one of the paths in the wood. I knew there was a set around 100 metres away down the hill which was used as a winter set, but I wasn't aware how far from it they strayed (particularly further uphill into the wood). What was even more interesting was that when I next encountered the tracks on a parallel path further into the wood (but in line with the first sighting), I also identified a lot of disturbance to the ground where I guess they had been foraging with their snouts for food.

Whilst I have read a few books on tracking and been shown various animal tracks by others, I had not thought that I knew very much myself. Granted I still don't profess to know a lot, but I have been pleasantly surprised by how much I was able to identify.

It is unfortunate that these tracks last such a short amount of time as they will soon melt away, but so exilerating to have had the chance. I know where I'll be heading next time it snows !!

Has anyone else had similar opportunities?

For those of you who haven't, I thoroughly recommend making the time as it really is a great experience even if you know very little like myself.

It's given me a renewed enthusiasm to do some tracking in 'normal' ground conditions in the future as well.

Nyayo

Forager
Jun 9, 2005
Gone feral...
Yep - spent New year in the central highlands in Scotland, and managed to climb some of the bigger hills - noticed red deer tracks above 900m in the snow, as well as grouse, and some cracking Raven tracks right on the top of Ben Lawers at over 1200m. The combination of strong moonlight and clean snow is great for noticing tracks.

E

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE