Tracking...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pablo

Settler
Oct 10, 2005
Essex, UK
www.woodlife.co.uk
Leon-B

I think you'll find that a fox print has much more narrow profile. The interdigital pad (the rear pad) is much smaller as well. Of course much will depend on the breed of the dog you're comparing it with.

The trail could also be an identifying feature and could give you a clue. Foxes tend to walk and trot in straight lines while dogs wander.

Pablo.

Edit: I believe a fox print might be the size of a medium sized dog as opposed to a large dog.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
To answer my own question, here is a site which you can download tracking information from. Nothing spectacular, but I like the crib cards you can download and print off. Back them onto some card and fablon them to make them waterproof and you will have a small aide memoire set to go out with.

http://www.princeton.edu/~oa/nature/tracking.shtml

Next one has mega cheesy music when you pen the page but has some info more related to tracking the enemy! I haven't had a real good look through this site yet, so make no promises for how good it is or it's complete contents, but it looked OK to start with.

http://members.tripod.com/selousscouts/home_page.htm

If anyone knows of other informative sites, please share the knowledge!

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
Another thing to remember about fox tracks is that they are usually harder to see than a dog.

IIRC The soles of a fox paw have hair on them which cushions the print. In very clear prints this will be clear i.e you can make out the imprint of the hairs.

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
thanks guys for the help
spamel thanks the links where great especially the tracking cards, i have saved some and i will soon be printing them off
leon

2blackcat

Nomad
Nov 30, 2004
bromley
Crazydave do you happen to have the isbn number for it?

Just been on the Collins website but they don't have it listed
Discontinued maybe?

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
2blackcat said:
Crazydave do you happen to have the isbn number for it?

Just been on the Collins website but they don't have it listed
Discontinued maybe?

The closest as far as I can see would be the "SAS Survival Guide
How to survive anywhere, on land or at sea" Gem book. Although I haven't actually seen it myself - its the only one I can see that might have anything tracking related in it.
:)

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I have bought the SAS guide to tracking by Bob Carss. I may aswell review it quickly as I finished it the other night.

At first, I thought that this could be a book aimed mainly at the military person wishing to learn tracking. Straight away though, Bob says that this book is not about the SAS, although a few stories from his days as a Trooper are thrown in thoughout the book. Also, no mystical powers will be revealed, but techniques to enable the uninitiated to grow into a decent tracker.

I continued to plow through the book absorbing as much of the information as possible. A lesson is split down and then recapped at the end of the chapter. The book does not start with tracking info though until a good way into the book.

A lot of the first third of the book looks at how the tracker needs to heighten his awareness of what goes on around him, how the 5 senses work and to take notice of what ALL of his senses are telling him, factors that attract attention, and how the tracker needs to strengthen his memory so that he remembers every minute detail he sees. This is improved by the use of Kims game and the Greek storage room, and it is these sort of chapters that makes you want to skip that particular part of the book and start looking at the track pictures of animals!! Persevere though, it must be important!

Once the book gets going you will learn the Track Pursuit Drill and the Lost Track Drill, everything in the army is a drill!!! They help remember how to deal with following sign, what to do if you cannot see the next sign and how to cast for the next sign without destroying any other sign. I don't know if this is what the trackers here on the forum do, as I have not had the benefit of their tuition or experience, but it sounds quite sensible to me.

The book also covers how sign can be aged by the weather, how false spoor (deception tactics) can be laid by an enemy soldier (military again) or how sign can be fouled by other animals/people moving across and over the sign you are following. Also covered is stalking techniques, the ability to move silently through woodland both by day and night.

Map reading is covered at the end of the book, along with human and animal prints. I found the animal prints to be fairly scant, there weren't many but it broke the groups of different types of tracks down into the various groups of walkers, ie. sole walkers or plantigrades, toe walkers or digitigrades and nail walkers or ungulates (this taken from the book!). These are then broken down again by the method of locomotion, ie. equal length limbs (horses), unequal length limbs (rabbit) short legs long body (pine marten) and short legs large body (badger).

Also covered is how some animals register, how an animal such as a cat places its' rear paws onto the ground where its' front paws were. The book covers tracking vehicles aswell, although I expect you'd have to be a quick runner to keep up!! Don't try this on the M25!!

All in all, not a bad book to get somebody on the road to becoming a tracker. It is the first book devoted to the subject that I have read, and I learnt a few things. The thing is, I think the book could have had a lot of the pages ripped out and still got the same info across. The book is the same size as the original version of the Lofty Wiseman book, so it won't fit in your pocket!!

If anyone knows of another decent book to get to build up my knowledge of the subject I would be grateful. I see there is a book on amazon with a foreword from Mr Mears that has a lot of good pictures of prints and "deposits" from various animals to be found in europe, I'm thinking that it may be my next purchase.

Animal Tracks and Signs by Preben Bang and Preben Dahlstrom, Foreword by Ray Mears

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
spamel said:
I see there is a book on amazon with a foreword from Mr Mears that has a lot of good pictures of prints and "deposits" from various animals to be found in europe, I'm thinking that it may be my next purchase.

Animal Tracks and Signs by Preben Bang and Preben Dahlstrom, Foreword by Ray Mears

Yeah mate. This is an excellent reference book. I took it away on a tracking course with me and found myself dipping into it all the time - and not just for the animals we were looking at on the course. Fascinating stuff if you're into tracks. Get it! :)

2blackcat

Nomad
Nov 30, 2004
bromley
Hey, Marts
I saw the SAS one in Millets a little while ago but not what I wanted although a young lad I know kept his copy in his hands for weeks

Crazydave seemed to say it was exclusive for tracking which would make it a lot more portable than the others I have
It was just a memory jog book in a pocket I was after

Rod

On a new journey
spamel said:
If anyone knows of another decent book to get to build up my knowledge of the subject I would be grateful. I see there is a book on amazon with a foreword from Mr Mears that has a lot of good pictures of prints and "deposits" from various animals to be found in europe, I'm thinking that it may be my next purchase.

This is a really useful book - even before Ray got on the cover - and will help anyone interested in getting into tracking

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
Book wise, I like the
Hamlyn Guide, Animals - Tracks, Trails & Signs. ISBN 0 7537 0955 4
personally think it better than the Bang and Dahlstrom book,

burn the heretic! :cussing:

uh, no, on second thoughts, don't :bluThinki . i actually agree with him.

the hamlyn book has a bit more info on actual tracking, and a fair bit more about the animals and their habitats. very good indeed. :cool:

cheers, and.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Just looking back through this thread, and saw the question on fox tracks.

A foxes print will differ from a dogs in shape and size, but another tip is to draw a line from the front tip of the two outer pads on the print. The line may just touch the two central pads (front) or there will be a distinct gap, if the line cuts into the front pads then it belongs to a dog. The foxes central pad is also a lot further away from the front pads, and the print is pretty much symmetrical.

Hope that helps!

Jan 22, 2006
uk
i'm no expert, but i found the bob carss sas guide to tracking absolutely excellent, goes to show that its different strokes for different folks!
The Animal tracks and signs book is also great, but for different reasons. its more factual 'this is a fox print etc' but the carss book will more likely get you into the mode of seeing the bigger picture.
reading both, then going out (prob take the At&s book for id'ing) then re-read the carss book at home and you'll learn pretty quick i'd expect. you need both aspects i think.
i was lucky enough to go on the woodlore tracking and awareness course a while ago and i learnt tons. the mearsmeister's words: "Honesty with yourself and those around you at all times" are the best tracking (actually - life) advice i've heard...and 'dont be afraid to get down on the floor and sniff!' :)
sharpening your senses is the best thing, and its free! just need to sit under a tree an chill for a few hours, you'll learn more than you'd expect, and if you're still you'll almost certainly see all manner of things that you've not seen before. i can see how people liken it to meditation, it probably is, but when you realise how sharp youre senses actually are (or can be) its mind blowing.
one of the woodlore instructors recommended me the sas book, i already had several others and i just wasnt quite getting it - hence the course - and the book was a real help... after the course it i now watch peoples tracks whenever i can (street, woods - where ever) and i see knew things all the time. sign is absolutely everywhere, all the time. its just a case of tuning into it.
i find it an amazing topic that just gets bigger and bigger.
animal behaviour is an awesome subject, tracking is kind of one and the same.
i think tracking is the greatest part of bushcraft, it's got everything. awareness and knowledge i guess are the ultimate goal, is for me anyway...and i can honestly say the more i know, the more i realise i dont know. whenever i go for a walk i find myself walking more and more slowly because there is just so much sign everywhere. love it!
if you can find a course and pay a deposit, then send a cheque when you've saved a bit more it's worth it...cant recommend it highly enough!
all the best.
p.s i watched an episode of 'the life of birds' at the weekend, and found out that a kestrel can see a wider part of the colour spectrum than us - urine has phosphorus in it and therefore glows under sunlight...which the kestrel can see and therefore knows where to hunt. hows that for sharp senses!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE