Tracking Quiz CASE 1

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Hope everyone out there will join in with Red and myself and post pictures of interesting tracks and sign so we can continue these little quizes that Red started.

Here's one for you. What happened here and who was involved?

29May20105.jpg

29May20106.jpg

29May20104.jpg

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Rabbit remains from a fox?

A badger had a good scratch?

Has Dennis Healey released his eyebrows back into the wild?

Les Marshall

Life Member
Jan 21, 2004
Chichester West Sussex
The fur is not right for a badger, there is quite a bit of woodland roughage about, no sign of bunny grub, mind you we can't see the surrounding area so it could be bunny fur or something similar. Not much blood, so a clean kill, and a fox would have left more fur. Bird or weasel kill?

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
All wrong so far, but a couple of posts have mentioned the species but without getting it all correct.

The area is right on a main woodland path with about ten feet of clearing as you can see in the picture, it then goes into bramble and scrub deeper into the woods. I should have included something for scale with the hair. There is just a faint smear of blood on the second bundle.

I'll see if I have a better picture of the area.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Good one. I was going to suggest a bedding clearout following the birth of young. I have seen birds dropping egg shells a long way from the nest and know of many mammals eating placenta etc. for hygeine reasons.

Red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE