Tracking Newbie

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ij rowley

Nov 21, 2010
manchester
Hi all
As th title suggests , I am a newbie to bushcraft and I fancy a shot at tracking but do not really know where to begin , can anyone offer any advice please , any book recommendations etc would be appreciated . Thanks Ian

Pablo

Settler
Oct 10, 2005
Essex, UK
www.woodlife.co.uk
I started learning tracking from books in the 80's but I learnt more on a three day course 5 years ago than all the book years put together. I recommend doing a course as soon as you can although it might seem initially expensive. Books are a great reference but you can't really learn from them. There's only one school I recommend and that's Shadowhawk.co.uk. (Please note: I'm definately biased 'cos I'm an instructor for Max!)

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
Animals Tracks,Trails and Signs by Brown ,Lawrence and Pope ...Hamlin books great wee field guide.The only book in my pack.
also (The Complete Guide to Tracking.......) new revised edition by Bob Carss...excellent book for new trackers i highly recommend it.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I'd suggest a course aswell, well worth it for getting your 'eye' in.
Not the cheapest option but I think worth it.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I did the Bushcraft Expeditions Tracking workshop via the forum deal last year, it was probably the best week long course I've ever done. Made tons of notes in my journal and still get out and practice them when I can. It was one of those courses where you come away feeling like you've actually achieved something.

I'm not sure of it's running again this year but have a look through the courses section here.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE