Tracking Logbook

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
So what sort of info do you keep in your logbook. Besides sketches, explainations, measurements, soil type, and weather condition what other info do you add?

Thanks for your help

:)
Ed

Rhoda

Nomad
May 2, 2004
Cornwall
www.worldwild.co.uk
Just write down everything and anything you come across. Keeping a log is a really good way to learn as you look back at what you've found. If you think you'll forget it write it down.

Start tring to age tracks. Note the condition of the track on the day you found it as well as the weather then go back to it every day if you can and write down any changes such as pock marks from rain or debris blown in from the wind or new fresh tracks crossing it.

Log the amount of time you spend tracking as if you want to take this to an advanced level you need to log a certain amount of dirt time.

Try to follow the tracks and spend time piecing together the story of what has led to them being made. Write all this down, even draw the route that the animal/person has taken. Take into consideration the location you are in. Are there valleys or areas of cover where animals are likely to head for, is there water nearby? Jot down where you think they have paused to look around and why you think that. Check to see if vegetation has been nibbled or if the thing you are tracking has sat down or changed direction.
Even if you spend hours looking at one print and writing down evrything you notice about it you will learn a lot from comparing your notes on each track you find.

There is a book called Tom Brown's Field Guide to Nature Observation and Tracking ISBN 0-425-09966-0 which is great for learning the basics and might give you some ideas of other things to put in your log books.

I hope that this will help. It sounds as though you're doing a pretty good job of keeping info in your log book as it is Ed. :-D

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Cheers for that Rhoda :biggthump

I've only been noting specific tracks and compression shapes so far..... I'll start adding in my observations on route etc ('the overall story').. I've not been keeping track of time.... its addictive.... I'm always at it... even poping down the road for a pint of milk has me with my eyes glued to the ground!!!!

Thanks again.... a great help

Ed

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
Thanks for those great tips Rhoda! :biggthump

Same here Ed ... went on an organized bat and moth walk last night and spent almost as much time looking at tracks and sign as I did looking at bats and moths!

I love tracking!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE