Tracking Courses?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Womble

Native
Sep 22, 2003
Aldershot, Hampshire, UK
Yep I went on one nearly 4 years ago (May 2003). Main teachers Ray and Juha Rankonnen (boy, did Juha konw his stuff!). Woody (see other tracking thread forwho he is) also dropped in on the Thursday. Lots on the course,we were kept busy almost continuously. Pace tracking is an exausting, but rewarding, activity.

It was a great course, but more importantly for me, it was there I managed to overcome my irrational fear (panic attacks at curl-up-in-a-foetal-ball-&-scream level) of woodlands at night.

I still have my notes from the course written up as a word document, if you're interested.

whitebeam

Sep 3, 2005
cowplain, hampshire
Thanks Womble, that would be really useful to me if you could let me have the notes because I am going on the course in May and as I am dyslexic I will have trouble taking notes myself

Feb 10, 2007
London
Hi All,

I would really like to have a copy of those notes if possible. I have considered this particular course so any information would be very useful.

Cheers....Paul

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
i havent been on it but in july i am doing work experience on one of the tracking courses
leon

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
Am I right in thinking that Juha Rankonnen has left or is leaving Woodlore?

i havent been on it but in july i am doing work experience on one of the tracking courses
leon

Nice one Leon! I spent my work experience doing CAD design and the manufacturing of carbon fibre replacement legs, I think you've got the better deal. :D

Fallow Way

Nomad
Nov 28, 2003
Staffordshire, Cannock Chase
I did it a number of years ago after beening interested in tracking for sometime. Juha and Ray made it a fascinating week and boy did I come away knowing a lot more. I`ve since done Search and Rescue tracker training and I would have to say, if I had not done a course of the Woodsense ilke, I I would not have got as much out of it as I did. It is a fantastic week, none stop learning.

Edit : I`ve heard that Juha has indeed left. His obligations back in Sweden are needing more of his attention. As I`m learning Swedish and love his company and instruction so much, i`d love to know where he runs his courses there :)

May 25, 2006
Canada
www.freewebs.com
I'm not sure about Ray's course, but this June, Survival In The Bush Inc is offering an advanced Tracking/Mantracking course to myself and other graduates of the Advanced Survival Course.

One of their instructors, Dan Flowers, is by far the best tracker I've ever met. Guy could compete with the likes of Tom Brown Jr!

Womble

Native
Sep 22, 2003
Aldershot, Hampshire, UK
Heya.

Could anyone who'd like a copy of the notes I have let me have their email addys please? I don't think it's possibly to put attachments to PMs!

It's also worth bearing in mind that whilst these notes reflect the course as I did it nearly 4 years ago, it might not reflect the course as it is run today.

Cheers

Womble

Jan 22, 2006
uk
if you find a copy of bob carss 'sas guide to tracking' book, you'll have pretty much all the notes and more you'll need. its not millataristic (if thats a word?) at all really - and the guy explains everything in perfect detail (and no mystisism) in well broken down logical steps....which is what you need for something like tracking imho.
together with 'animal tracks and signs' by preben bang you'll be well prepared for the woodlore course.
to me, most bushcrafty stuff can be learnt pretty well in your back garden and perfected out in the sticks where its a bit more 'real', but tracking is a bit more involved...but by far the most enjoyable part of the whole subject because it encompases so much.
'hope you get to go on the course - its a real eye (plus ear, nose, taste etc) opener!

bear knights

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Cornwall
I have just come back from one of the best weekends ever with some guys in Cornwall, all chipping in and inparting their own bits of knowledge. Three of them worked for footsteps of discovery, (www.footstepsofdiscovery.co.uk/) and include tracking as part of their courses. Spanner has done various hardcore wildlife tracking and live trapping, including for Mr Attenborough, (name dropping completely intended), and Smarty does, (I think) a more man tracking course, but the basics will be the same for wildlife. Would definitely recommend checking out their courses, as with them there is no ego that can get in the way of learning, they are a laugh a minute, and competitvely priced. They also throw in odd bits of survival info as and when something crops up so you are always learning something. You will go home with 'burning ring of fire' stuck in your head though!

moko

Forager
Apr 28, 2005
out there
Hi Whitebeam, Just out of interest, did you have to wait a while get a place on the woodlore tracking course?

moko

whitebeam

Sep 3, 2005
cowplain, hampshire
Hi Moko

Yes I did have to wait along time to get on the woodlore tracking course, they were all booked up but I signed up to be put on the cancellation list and luckily for me one came up.

I have been on the woodlore website today and noticed that there were a couple of places available on the tracking courses, so prehaps some people have cancelled.

I am looking forward to going on the course in May

whitebeam

Scally

C.E.S.L Notts explorers
Oct 10, 2004
uk but want to emigrate to NZ
hi andyn last September i did the journyman and juha was the course leader he was telling us that back home he has opened a university and needs to spend more time there (bushcraft school).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE