tracking boot design.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

harlequin

Aug 8, 2004
UK
Thomas J Elpel, hasn't anyone heard of him?
It is so obvious, a modular shoe system, who'd have thought it!
Get you're best hand made mocs, use them where they should be used, and where they shouldn't be used use your tyre sandals.

Man, the simplest is always the best.

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
bothyman said:
They look interesting but the link does not seem to work???????????

MickT

Just tried it and it works for me. There is though just the one page at the moment as “site is still under construction” I believe. If you want to read more about them here is something sent to me describing the boots:

"The Jackal was designed by the Danner Hunting Dept. specifically for American ‘Bow-hunters’ Because of the reduced effective range of a bow, compared to a deer-legal rifle for instance, ‘bow-hunters’ need to be able to stalk in considerably closer to enable them a chance at a fair shot. What-ever your thoughts on hunting with bow and arrow, the result was a boot based essentially on the native Red-Indian moccasin principle which, by allowing you to ‘feel’ the ground beneath you feet, enables you to make less noise.

Danner themselves say:

Danner's first stalking hunting boot, the Jackal GTX, is perfect for hunters looking to be stealthy and quiet in the woods. This moccasin-style stalking platform combines a super-thin mid-sole and outsole with a thick, cushioning insole. The result is that the hunter, although walking on a padded surface, has better "ground feel" through the boot. It allows the hunter to avoid stepping on twigs and branches that may alert his game. This boot has a waterproof GORE-TEX liner, Mossy Oak Obsession camo, and full-grain pigskin leather.”

In practice in this country we’ve had some excellent feed-back from those, like myself, who do a lot of wood-land deer stalking. We have sold a number of pairs to professional deer managers who also highly recommend them to their clients. To give you an entirely even-handed view however, there has been one very slight criticism of the boots from one (albeit particularly picky) deer manager in Hampshire – because of the design, there is very little tread on the boot (obviously) – this can make them a little bit slippy on very wet (i.e early morning dewy) grass. This is not a problem if you are mindful, but only fair to relay all the feed back we’ve had and not just the good stuff.

Overall though, the reception has been great.

The boots are warranted against shoddy workmanship or defective materials for a year, they clean up easily and, because they are 8” high, they give terrific support.

If you’ve been in the armed forces, then Danner need no introduction. I bought my first pair of Danner’s in America 22 years ago – I still wear them every year in the Highlands. The next step up from the Jackals is the ‘Pronghorn’ – perhaps not as ‘quiet’ at the Jackal, but a more sturdy yet still lightweight, 4 season boot; we’ll also be getting heavier-weight Danner’s in for the winter months/hill stalkers & shooters."

Cheers

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE