Tracking Book Recommendation?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Laughoutlouder

Forager
Jun 21, 2009
Dublin
Hi guys and girls,

I have a question for those of you who have bought tracking books.

If you were to buy one book which taught tracking in some detail, getting down to nitty gritty I think, which would it be?

Louis Liebenberg (maybe spelling is wrong) comes highly recommended by some South African game-rangers.

I would like something which was written with Europe and the British Isles in mind. I have had the priviledge of going to reserves in SA twice in the last two years and have learned a great deal from the rangers. Twas part of my course the first time and second time I was a demonstrator/assistant. I feel sometimes that I now know S. African tracks better than the ones at home. I want to change this. I also want to make the jump from simply identifying tracks to determining what an animal is doing (feeding, foraging, stalking, fleeing etc.).

Thanks in advance!

Liam

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
This would be a handy book for GB, Europe and Ireland , Animals Tracks, Trails and Signs (Hamlyn Guide) by R.W. Brown, M.J. Lawrence and J. Pope. A great wee field guide.
For learning to track The Complete Guide to Tracking:New Revised Ed, by Bob Carss . Covers lots of tracking skills and sign types.
I can understand about the snakes, but I can’t believe the roe deer missed the last land bridge to Ireland ? what’s going on there?

Last edited:

Laughoutlouder

Forager
Jun 21, 2009
Dublin
Many thanks 21st century pict, I'll have a look at those.

I can believe they didn't make it! Feck all plants made it over too! We did have the Irish elk for a while, well until the silly ice-age thingy happened.

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
Hey Liam, ciamar a tha thu?
There are some really great tracking books out there, If you fancy something more on learning how to track you can’t do any better than Tom Brown Jr. He’s got some real advanced skills, very in depth stuff like pressure releases.
More on the tactical side if that’s your thing, Tactical Tracking Operations by David Scott-Donelan ex Rhodesian selous scout and TCU, and Tracking; Signs of man signs of hope by David Diaz would both have to be compulsory reading. 2 superb books.

Last edited:

Laughoutlouder

Forager
Jun 21, 2009
Dublin
Hey Liam, ciamar a tha thu?
There are some really great tracking books out there, If you fancy something more on learning how to track you can’t do any better than Tom Brown Jr. He’s got some real advanced skills, very in depth stuff like pressure releases.
More on the tactical side if that’s your thing, Tactical Tracking Operations by David Scott-Donelan ex Rhodesian selous scout and TCU, and Tracking; Signs of man signs of hope by David Diaz would both have to be compulsory reading. 2 superb books.

Ha, its close enough for me to know what you mean! Tá mé go maith.

Conas ata tu?
To be honest I'm not that great at the old Irish. Not good at the new Irish either!

Had a look at a few books there a while ago an Tom Browns name came up a bit. Yes, it is the method of tracking that I want to learn now. Some of the tactical, I guess human tracking, stuff is very interesting and I will learn at some point the TBJ book seems more appropriate. From what you say I can then apply what I learn to people if I so wish.

Thanks for the information 21st century pict!

bear

Dec 30, 2004
ireland
A guide to british mammal tracks and signs fsc publication,fold out guide to tracks,homes,droppings.simple portable easy to follow guide for in the field and only £3.50.(www.field-studies-concil.org).also mark elbroch Mammal tracks and sign,lots of pics in the field,mostly american but some species do cross over,I learnt a lot from this book.happy trailing!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE