Totally recycled hatchet!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Being a confirmed cheapskate, absolutely everything on this one is recycled :D

(GB Wildlife for comparison/scale)

Brades_1.jpg

Brades_2.jpg

Brades_3.jpg

Brades_4.jpg

The head came from the local dump, and was a block of rust with a broken handle. The poll had obviously been used to hammer on metal, and it was a toss-up as to whether the edge was more or less sharp than the poll.
A little attention (ahem!) from the powered wire brush, the belt grinder and a lot of wet&dry revealed the makers name and model. It is a Brades Criterion 378, about 1 [SUP]1[/SUP]/[SUB]2[/SUB] lb.
The edge was ground back about 1/8" and then resharpened to "blimey" and just short of "gadzooks".
The handle started out as a broken sledgehammer handle which I had recently replaced.
The mask started like as a commission, but a line of stitching went slightly awry, so I made a new one, then recycled the original to fit the Brades.

The handle I have made deliberately long, to see how well it works - the beauty of a straight handle is that I will have no compunction in cutting it shorter if turns out to be unwieldy. The paracord whipping at the butt is just to provide some resistance to the thing slipping through my hand when chopping (and yes, even this bit is an offcut from a previous job).

Thanks for looking :)

Having chopped some kindling with it today, I have to admit to being rather pleased with it :D . Splits well, easy to be accurate, and the longer haft gives a good swing to it.

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
Excellent job. At least you have the part of the handle that didn't break!

I have yet to get any thing as sharp as "Gadzooks" ! LOL

Z

Docherty

Tenderfoot
May 11, 2010
Dorset
I can see the CaptainBeakey tool care kit being released just in time for Christmas:

Coarse grit stone to take out those 'confounded' dings and restore the edge to it's 'suits you sir' shape, fine grit to take your edge from 'don't run with those scissors' to 'blimey' sharp and finally, the mega strop - grow some balls, go 'gadzooks' sharp

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Being a confirmed cheapskate, absolutely everything on this one is recycled :D

(GB Wildlife for comparison/scale)

Brades_1.jpg

Brades_2.jpg

Brades_3.jpg

Brades_4.jpg

The head came from the local dump, and was a block of rust with a broken handle. The poll had obviously been used to hammer on metal, and it was a toss-up as to whether the edge was more or less sharp than the poll.
A little attention (ahem!) from the powered wire brush, the belt grinder and a lot of wet&dry revealed the makers name and model. It is a Brades Criterion 378, about 1 [SUP]1[/SUP]/[SUB]2[/SUB] lb.
The edge was ground back about 1/8" and then resharpened to "blimey" and just short of "gadzooks".
The handle started out as a broken sledgehammer handle which I had recently replaced.
The mask started like as a commission, but a line of stitching went slightly awry, so I made a new one, then recycled the original to fit the Brades.

The handle I have made deliberately long, to see how well it works - the beauty of a straight handle is that I will have no compunction in cutting it shorter if turns out to be unwieldy. The paracord whipping at the butt is just to provide some resistance to the thing slipping through my hand when chopping (and yes, even this bit is an offcut from a previous job).

Thanks for looking :)

Having chopped some kindling with it today, I have to admit to being rather pleased with it :D . Splits well, easy to be accurate, and the longer haft gives a good swing to it.

I don't know about light axes with long handles but personally I really rate light hammers with long handles as you can get a good swing on them without having to carry a big old lump about all day, if I have to re-handle my Husqvarna hatchet i reckon it will be with a longer handle as well.

I can see the CaptainBeakey tool care kit being released just in time for Christmas:

Coarse grit stone to take out those 'confounded' dings and restore the edge to it's 'suits you sir' shape, fine grit to take your edge from 'don't run with those scissors' to 'blimey' sharp and finally, the mega strop - grow some balls, go 'gadzooks' sharp

Stones?

This was all done on a belt grinder with a bucket of water handy to keep the blade cool!
Reprofiled the edge with 80 grit ceramic, cut new bevels with 80 then 120 grit ceramic, then 180/240 zirconia belts to polish, and 400/800 wet&dry on a mousemat to get to "blimey".

Going to the gadzooks level usually requires anything up to 6000 Micromesh on a leather pad.

My GB double bit came with both edges at "gadzooks", and I keep the felling edge at that level, but it's too fine and easily chipped for most stuff - I keep the other edge at not-quite-shaving, as this is robust enough for most things.
The Brades is also at this sort of sharpness, not least because other family members will be likely be using it, and I don't fancy the frequent re-sharpening!
I'm also hoping this one will be efficient enough to persuade the Management to stop borrowing my carving axe to split kindling! :x:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE