Top trumps ( tree wars )

bilko

Settler
May 16, 2005
SE london
Anyone remember Top Trumps?
Wouldn't it be good if they had a tree series? :lmao: , Well i think it would. :D
Also an easy way for kids to learn about trees by cunningly hiding the fact that they are learning through play!

Ok so who wants to play?

Here are the catergories:

COO - (country of origin ) self explanatory
Height- given in typical units ie feet. redwood beats an oak on heightbut oak beats redwood on age and hardness
Lifespan - (age) - 10-20 yrs =1 point, 20-50 = 2, 50-100=3, 100-300=4, 300-1000=10 points
Procreation technique? - fruit producing uses animals so sew the seed by eating fruit and leaving it in excrement with manure etc. Flying seeds such as willow. Trees that shoot up above the rest and block out all the light etc
Uses to man- oak has ( fuel, furniture, tools, buiding material etc. other trees will have more )
Hardness of wodd- harder wood wins

Anyone with some spare time care to elaborate :lmao:

Reactions: JonnyP

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Just make sure you avoid playing Jason Sears, he is unbeatable. My boy Kieren took his top trumps to a meet and although Kieren knows all the cards well, he was thrashed by Jason, as was everyone who played him...........

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
bilko said:
Anyone remember Top Trumps?
Wouldn't it be good if they had a tree series? :lmao: , Well i think it would. :D
Also an easy way for kids to learn about trees by cunningly hiding the fact that they are learning through play!

Ok so who wants to play?

Here are the catergories:

COO - (country of origin ) self explanatory
Height- given in typical units ie feet. redwood beats an oak on heightbut oak beats redwood on age and hardness
Lifespan - (age) - 10-20 yrs =1 point, 20-50 = 2, 50-100=3, 100-300=4, 300-1000=10 points
Procreation technique? - fruit producing uses animals so sew the seed by eating fruit and leaving it in excrement with manure etc. Flying seeds such as willow. Trees that shoot up above the rest and block out all the light etc
Uses to man- oak has ( fuel, furniture, tools, buiding material etc. other trees will have more )
Hardness of wodd- harder wood wins

Anyone with some spare time care to elaborate :lmao:

great minds think alike i was talking to jason sears round the fire not too long back so i did some idea lay outs

toptrumpstg5.jpg

now we wont be able to call them top trumps due to copyright so we'll have to think up a new name

but sets i have in mind are :
trees
mammals
birds
wild food / fungi
medicinal pants / usful plants
kit

it needs a lot of work and some very good photos but this as you have said would be an amazing learning tool and a great fun game for children and adults like

i love toptrumps their great

bilko

Settler
May 16, 2005
SE london
jdlenton said:
great minds think alike i was talking to jason sears round the fire not too long back so i did some idea lay outs

toptrumpstg5.jpg

now we wont be able to call them top trumps due to copyright so we'll have to think up a new name

but sets i have in mind are :
trees
mammals
birds
wild food / fungi
medicinal pants / usful plants
kit

it needs a lot of work and some very good photos but this as you have said would be an amazing learning tool and a great fun game for children and adults like

i love toptrumps their great
Blummin |Eck!
That's brilliant!
Sorry i can never find posts iv'e written and have to trawl through everything ( i'll get used to it one day ).
your absolutly right about time as it would take ages to collate all the facts on each section. Also a good standard of royalty free images or good drawings would be needed. What a stocking filler though.
How did you do the templates?
Ooh!, instead of the cherished/rare golden type cards you could have cammo backed ( kids love cammo ).No wait, that's football.
Well the californian Redwood wins hands down. Just looked it up and was astounded to find that it is the lTALLEST LIVING THING ON EARTH at more than 360 foort ( 110metres ) and can live for more thab 2500years!...Only a tree with built in midi guns and fangs could beat that :lmao:

bilko

Settler
May 16, 2005
SE london
How about calling them Toppers?
"Top that "
"can you top it?"
Etc...
Insects is another good one although you'd have to call it creepies or something to include arachnids
Camelback versus scorpion versus hornet, cor i wish i was a kid again! :lmao:
Just remembered, i think the largest living organism in the world was a group of trees although i can't remember which kind, Ash maybe?

Simon E

Nomad
Aug 18, 2006
3rd Planet from the sun
Fantastic, every card has to have an Achilles heel though.

How about how much diverse life it supports, like insects, reptiles, material for building nests or perhaps it has horizontal branches that some birds prefer to nest in,

jasons

Settler
Jan 15, 2006
Tain Scotland
Jon Pickett said:
Just make sure you avoid playing Jason Sears, he is unbeatable. My boy Kieren took his top trumps to a meet and although Kieren knows all the cards well, he was thrashed by Jason, as was everyone who played him...........
I am the dady at top trumps :D

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
jason sears said:
I am the dady at top trumps :D
You sure are, but Kieren is gagging for a re-match.
Welcome back btw, hope you had a goodun mate.
James..........Love them designs mate, I shall watch this thread with interest.
Bilko........If you subscribe to a thread, you can find it again easy.........

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
moduser said:
How many cards in a deck?

I fancy having a go at a set.

James I'll pass on my ideas for scrutiny (is that how you spell that?)

David
Hi David..........Usually 30 cards in a set, but its not important, make as many as you like............

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
How do you actually play Top Trumps?

I'd also thought about there being bushcraft 'trumps' cards, but only because
every bookshop I've been in recently seems to be selling them, also museum
gift-shops. It gets my vote as a good idea but I think I'd probably just look
at them (a bit like cards you got with cereal packs) rather than actually try
and play with them (cos I'd lose).

Jo

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Jodie said:
How do you actually play Top Trumps?

I'd also thought about there being bushcraft 'trumps' cards, but only because
every bookshop I've been in recently seems to be selling them, also museum
gift-shops. It gets my vote as a good idea but I think I'd probably just look
at them (a bit like cards you got with cereal packs) rather than actually try
and play with them (cos I'd lose).

Jo
Hi Jo...........Cards have a series of different catagories and the person dealing will choose a catagory and read it out and hopefully beat the other persons.
ie, lets say the set is on cars, the catagories could be engine size, top speed, 0-60 time, weight, total produced etc. If say your cars engine size is higher ( or if you are playing it with the enviroment in mind, it could be lower :D ) than your opponents, you win both cards. The aim is to win all cards. I make it sound boring, but it is good fun...........

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Montivagus said:
You could call the tree version "Top Trunks" :D

Oh! but then it might be confused with an Ausie swimwear set. :)
Lol, nice one.......
I am thinking, if it was a bushcraft set, it could be many types of subject, like for example.........

BOWDRILL with a photo and description of one

Ease of use ? out of 10

Availability ? out of 10

Usefulness ? out of 10

Time to finish job ? out of 10

Craft rating ? out of 10 on the bushcraft-omiter

Others could be.........
Bushcraft knife
Cramp ball
Leather bottle
Debris shelter
Wooden spoon
Etc etc.........

Aaron

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2003
Oxford/Gloucs border
Maybe I havent read this thread thoroughly enough, but I dont think anyone has suggested a 'bushcraft personalities' edition. All of the 'movers and shakers' in the bushcraft world could be included:

- Mearsy
- Mors Kochanski
- John 'lofty' Wiseman
- Les 'Bushtucker Man' Higgins
- Bruce Parry
- Jason Sears

Possible categories could include
- Number of TV Series (would have to be Ray hands down)
- Smell after a month in the bush (on a scale of 1-10)
- Amount of books published
- Length and width of knife used (steady now)
- Number of minutes taken to make fire by friction
- Attractiveness to Bears (I dont know how you would rate this)

Just a thought.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE