Tool Roll suggestion.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I've realised alot of my tools , even the duplicates of duplicates are all in Toolboxes, which is good for the majority of the time.

But I realise I also need a kit of basic tools I can throw in the car so I can not just work on my car if needed , someone elses car , someone elses house if i'm there etc etc

So looking of a durable tool roll - for spanners , screwdrivers , bits and pieces.

suggestions.

Dec 29, 2022
East Suffolk
I've realised alot of my tools , even the duplicates of duplicates are all in Toolboxes, which is good for the majority of the time.

But I realise I also need a kit of basic tools I can throw in the car so I can not just work on my car if needed , someone elses car , someone elses house if i'm there etc etc

So looking of a durable tool roll - for spanners , screwdrivers , bits and pieces.

suggestions.
Do I recall correctly, you were heading down the leathercraft route a while back? If so, a tool roll could be a good project.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I've been thinking similar to you and was thinking of getting this

Yep -looks good - kinda the right size - not too big so you leave it out of the car but small enough for the essentials.
Do I recall correctly, you were heading down the leathercraft route a while back? If so, a tool roll could be a good project.
Thanks for the vote of confidence but I think I will get something basic to at least start with.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I've been thinking similar to you and was thinking of getting this
That looks sensible, way better than the canvas tool bag I was using for the campervan. Can’t find a thing in those bags and end up tipping it upside down. I’ve just transferred everything to a box, but do need a travel kit.

Reactions: TeeDee
I've been using tool rolls but am having a problem with them. They don't prevent sharp blades (especially gouges) from piercing the material. I think the solution is to make covers for the gouges and blades and then insert them into the tool roll. But I don't know what material to use for it. Most likely, I will try to find silicone that I can cut up and line the pockets of the tool roll.

Chris

Life Member
Sep 20, 2022
Lincolnshire
I've been using tool rolls but am having a problem with them. They don't prevent sharp blades (especially gouges) from piercing the material. I think the solution is to make covers for the gouges and blades and then insert them into the tool roll. But I don't know what material to use for it. Most likely, I will try to find silicone that I can cut up and line the pockets of the tool roll.

I wonder whether some kevlar/cut resistant gloves could be repurposed? 5 covers per glove?

Reactions: woodsorrel

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
A length of conduit slightly longer than the metal part of the gouge? Just have the gouge in the conduit loose - the handle won’t push through the conduit. Wouldn’t work for wider ones but it could do for narrow tools.
Or mould some covers for the blades out of plastic.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
A length of conduit slightly longer than the metal part of the gouge? Just have the gouge in the conduit loose - the handle won’t push through the conduit. Wouldn’t work for wider ones but it could do for narrow tools.
Or mould some covers for the blades out of plastic.

Pvc pipe + hot gun - done.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Been meaning to try using a SAM splint knockoff/aluminum split (Temu has them for around 2 quid) as a blade/edge protector.

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
As for the listed tool roll on Amazon, picture below -

I have one of these and found it difficult to get sensible sized tools in 6-8 inch length, and then it was pretty much full.

So for smaller items yes, usable sized tools is a big no.

Screenshot_2024-09-08-10-01-58-41_b5f6883d2c20a96c53babc0b4ac88108.jpg

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
What is the width of that? Bucket Boss make one 14.5" wide and an extra zip pouch.

Though almost 4x (~£40 odd on Amazon) the price.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
What is the width of that? Bucket Boss make one 14.5" wide and an extra zip pouch.

Though almost 4x (~£40 odd on Amazon) the price.
1725787612080.png

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Hah my dumbass was looking all over the text description and never thought to look through the pics.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
My Dad had a good one. I think my Mum made it out of some heavy duty but soft cotton fabric she had. It lasted decades and is probably still going. My Dad kept it in the car at all times. Good use of a scrap of fabric. They are not hard to sew up if you have a machine. More effort byhand though.

They are pretty good things to hold the emergency tools. I have a leather one for my pens! Tough as old boots in 4 or 5mm thick leather and it'll get a good patina with use.

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
I've been using the Stanley one for years. They cost under a tenner and are decent enough. I'm on my second one now but the first one had a lot of use and held up well for what it is. It holds enough to do most basic jobs on the car and most of the time I use that rather than getting other tools from the garage.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Well I have received the green tool roll above as suggested by Mesquite.
I will admit its I suppose a bit small but that is part of the usefulness of it - If I had a large tool roll and loaded it to the gunnels I'm just going to quietly resent and ignore it.

So now the tinkerers pleasure begins of deciding exactly what are the essential tools to include and swapping out and thinking and re-thinking and swapping out again.

Already loaded with a range of ratchet spanners and a medium adjustable.

Which I find can be a relatively enjoyable experience in itself and doesnt seem to contravene any UK laws currently.

Remember - its not the size , its what you do with it thats important.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE