Tool Logic SL3 knife and fire steel

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Brown Bear

Forager
May 12, 2009
Cambridge
I purchased one of these recently:

http://lightmyfireusa.com/firesteelknife.html

It's a folding knife with a fire steel housed in the handle. Thought you might like my humble opinion of the thing:

The first thing I noticed was the light weight and rather cheap feel. the plastic handle feels rather flimsy and can be bent and twisted to some extent with the fingers.

The blade seems to be fair quality, with a nice smooth single handed opening movement. After 5 minutes whittling, the edge seemed to retain it's edge well. The folding lock seems to jam slightly after hard use though and requires a heavy thumb pressure to release.

The fire steel is well fixed into the handle with a tight fitting rubber O-ring. You can even wrap some cotton wool tinder around the steel within the water proof compartment. The fire steel strikes a good flash of sparks on the back of the blade.

The clip on the handle makes it rather uncomfortable for any prolonged use.

In summary, the knife is OK for a backup tool in a survival kit perhaps, but not for any serious use. For the price, I was disappointed. At around £30, you are paying for the novelty rather than the quality. It should be around the £20 mark max.

zagabul

Tenderfoot
Oct 19, 2009
London
www.aloxworld.com
Thanks for this review. I've always wondered about these all in one knives.
Can you at least use the back of the blade to strike the firesteel? Because on the pictures the demo guy is using the sharp edge :eek:
What kind of steel is it?

Improviser

Tenderfoot
Thanks for this review. I've always wondered about these all in one knives.
Can you at least use the back of the blade to strike the firesteel? Because on the pictures the demo guy is using the sharp edge :eek:
What kind of steel is it?

I was bought one of these as a gift IMO its okay as a general pocket/pen knife & holds a reasonable edge (stainless 420J) but ive no doubt anything but light use would loosen it up a lot.

The firesteel is actually supposed to be drawn through the ' v notch ' at the choil of the blade as per the instructions, suppose the picture gives the impression that its the sharp edge.

Just noticed tho this applies to the older version it seems the latest SL3 has a castellated/thumbstay on the back of the blade for striking as per the SL Pro which is a different blade shape but is available with combined firesteel & led light.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE