Too Much Yeast!!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mason

Jul 25, 2007
Nottinghamshire
Ok I've messed up a little. I was rushing the last step of my pear wine as my son wanted my attention and ended up misreading teaspoon for tablespoon, it was a new type of yeast so I didn’t think that amount was odd, until I read it again!

I’ve scooped some out but what’s the verdict? Am I going to blow up the house or just end up with 20 litres of mush?

Cheers

Pantalaimon

Forager
May 19, 2008
Utrecht, Netherlands
Fermentation takes place in different phases, in one of them the yeast will be duplicating itself. So there's nothing like 'too much yeast'. (Well, maybe, but that must be very much).
And if you are using small sachets for, say, until 50 litres, just use the whole lot. No need to be miserly, your must needs the yeast!

And buy some (good!) books! I tried making mead with just the things I could find on the internet, but if I bought a book right away, I wouldn't spilled some batches, and was cheaper off in the end.

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
The above answers are indeed correct. The yeast multiplies in the brew anyway until it has used up all the sugar or the alcohol that is produced by the action of the yeast reaches a volume that kills it off (roughly 10% for wine). So it would be very difficult to put too much yeast in your mix, but you do save money by putting in a small amount.

When I was making so much wine that I could have opened a shop I used to skimp on the yeast sometimes. I'd take a scoop of vigorously fermenting must and put it in the new batch which worked a treat. Just make sure that the yeast you used originally is a suitable type.

mason

Jul 25, 2007
Nottinghamshire
Thanks for all the replies. After spending hours preparing the fruit I would have been sad to have lost all that lovely booze :)

Pantalaimon can you recommend any good wine making books?

mason

Jul 25, 2007
Nottinghamshire
Thanks for all the replies. After spending hours preparing the fruit I would have been sad to have lost all that lovely booze :)

Pantalaimon can you recommend any good wine making books?

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Hehe.... I've just been taking my first steps in yeast culturing, spent Saturday afternoon messing around with culture tubes, growth media and serious sterilisation.

Too much yeast isn't likely to cause a major problem, as others have said, but I'd be very tempted to rack the wine off very early on - having it sitting on a huge sediment of dead or dying yeast can impart off flavours. There'll still be plenty of working yeast in suspension.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE