Tombear and JohnC (and probably Monkieman too)...check this out

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
If only it was a "full power" set up :)

I was talking a while ago to a guy in the US with a full shaft and belt drive workshop - awesome setup

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
BR if you're ever up this neck of the woods you have to visit Summerlee :D It has an entire workshop run of steam powered, belt driven, machinery.

cheers,
Toddy.....who has her own Mamod steam traction engine :D

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Mechanical linkage from power source to machines has a lot to commend it over electrical tools when you consider it from a logical point of view...when I am a rich man....

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Doesn't need riches, just practical application of a few engineering principles :D

Honestly, there are enough steam engine enthusiasts out there who struggle to find someplace to store their engines that you could probably find a willing helpmate to suss things out.
Steam engine powered log chopper :D thresher, cider press, or even that mangle you found :D
It's all just belt driven, and that's not rocket science, just very feasible.

atb,
M

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Mmmm but I fancy the shaft driven setup with all the tools running on belts from the shaft....although a steam powered log splitter would be EPIC!

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Mmmm but I fancy the shaft driven setup with all the tools running on belts from the shaft....although a steam powered log splitter would be EPIC!

You'd need the steam powered splitter to maintain the supply of firewood to power it.

Would indeed be nice to see, though.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Yeap I did think of that Bilmo :) Of course the stuff being split would be unseasoned so you would need to use the last of the old stuff

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Neat. Oddly enough I've a storage crate of Mamod parts I bought at Burnley flea before it went crap. There's a lot of it and while I was looking for a book on the subject things happened and it got forgotten about. I fancied making a steam powered radio, another idea that never came to fruition.

ATB

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
I very nearly got commissioned to mock up a steam powered , hand held, Gatling gun for a Steam punker of my acquaintance. In our higher flights of fancy the strobe light in the muzzle would have been replaced by a propane mg simulator. It was going to be all brass and (stained) mahogany but the cost we prohibitive and it never happened.

atb

tom

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
They are in theory section 1 legal for live fire as well....lots of luck with that variation though :)

VANDEEN

Nomad
Sep 1, 2011
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Thats the puppy Steve - will you gift wrap it please? :)

Nah what you really need for propper power is a great big wheel and some water. goodjob

A friend and his dad restored this place http://gatesheadmill.co.uk/Page 3.html His dad is the Trust co-ordinator
The mill room has all sorts of belt driven lathes, saws, etc which they have accumulated over the years. There's a pole barn with a massive old circular saw bench in the grounds, and all manner of other bits and pieces of agricultural & industrial antiquity are dotted about.

VANDEEN

Nomad
Sep 1, 2011
Newcastle Upon Tyne
That would do absolutely wonderfully. It wouldn't work here though - not a chance! :)

Actually you'd be amazed at what a small amount of water is required to run that wheel, you're not on a water meter are you ;)

If not then You could generate twice, once from the mains into a pelton wheel generator and then use the spent water to fill your mill pond. Which you could have ducks on as well, nice juicy roasted ducks :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE