Tomahawk

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nohoval_Turrets

Sep 28, 2004
Ireland
Oh I love that video - 30 seconds of token wood chopping and nail hammering, and then two minutes of heavy-metal fuelled mayhem!

Anyways, it looks nice and lightweight, but I don't know about that handle. With no end knob, isn't there a risk of it flying out of the hand?

Tye Possum

Nomad
Feb 7, 2009
Canada
Nohoval_Turrets said:
Anyways, it looks nice and lightweight, but I don't know about that handle. With no end knob, isn't there a risk of it flying out of the hand?
Ya that's what I was thinking.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
. With no end knob, isn't there a risk of it flying out of the hand?

Yes, but if you know that you can change your technique. I've owned 2 hawks in the past, a GB one and a Lee Reeves. Both were great, had straight handles and cut well. It was never an issue with me because I changed my technique accordingly.

Mark

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I have one of those little camping hatchets (ill bring it to the moot)

Also a small thing rather like a firemans axe...no idea what it is...this is rather like a tomahawk.

Ill post pics when its fettled.

I wont be using it for smashing up cars though. I have the proper tools for that.

Nohoval_Turrets

Sep 28, 2004
Ireland
It was never an issue with me because I changed my technique accordingly.

Interesting. Makes sense I suppose - historically these axes were used for many very real purposes. How did you change your technique? (I know, it's probably hard to describe) It looks like a well-made thing, and it's a lot lighter than the SFA.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com

only if you let go :rolleyes: Straight knobless handles have worked well enough on axes, hammers and any number of tools used in that motion for hundreds of thousands of years, it's only recently that people have really felt the need for the reassurance of a konb at the end ;)

If you are worried, you could always try some excercises to improve your grip. But not THAT exercise, you'll go blind :cool:

Big Geordie

Nomad
Jul 17, 2005
Bonny Scotland
Hi Swampy,

They are great for camping- bushie style. When I was in the US I picked up 3 hawks : the riflemans hawk, this one and Cabelas mouse hawk. I camped out a lot over the 2 years I was there.

In the end this hawk was the only one I wanted to take with me. It did all the jobs I asked it to do and was light enough to carry around with me. You won't regret it. You will find yourself inventing jobs for it to do though cos its easy.:D

ATB
G

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
How did you change your technique? (I know, it's probably hard to describe)

Not really - I just didn't let go:D
No, seriously, the back hand holds on a little tighter. make sure your hands aren't slippy etc
Nothing life changing at all - common sense really

Mark

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
only if you let go :rolleyes: Straight knobless handles have worked well enough on axes, hammers and any number of tools used in that motion for hundreds of thousands of years, it's only recently that people have really felt the need for the reassurance of a konb at the end ;)

If you are worried, you could always try some excercises to improve your grip. But not THAT exercise, you'll go blind :cool:

Good advise for any tool that you're using

I'm sure you know of plenty of examples of people that have managed to have axes, hammers etc come out of their hands whilst using them even though the shaft ends in a knob

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Oh boy,
why did I hit that video link :why:
"If you have something that needs smashing and you want to protect your edge....."

Take it to the scrapyard where they have special machinery to make a mess of a car!

I've often thought about a hawk, but after seeing that video, it won't be a Cold Steel one.

Ogri the trog

Matt.S

Native
Mar 26, 2008
Exeter, Devon
Also a small thing rather like a firemans axe...no idea what it is...this is rather like a tomahawk.

I think it's a naval boarding axe. Very similar to trade tomahawks though I haven't seen many with 'ears' like this. They're there to give a strong haft interface/fit without having to forge a massively deep hole. A lot of claw hammers used to be made like this before the adze-eye pattern (as you might see today) was popular. Tack-hammers too as the tiny stock (which couldn't be made bigger or the hammer would be too heavy) gave a tiny haft/head interface. There's a fair bit of information in Alex Bealer's fascinating classic The Art of Blacksmithing, available from most libraries.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE