Tomahawk Throwing.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

CumbrianLad

Nomad
May 5, 2016
Carlisle
Hey keith

Really great videos and very well explained looks like great fun

I also subscribed to your YouTube account keep up the good work mate

Cumbrianlad

nic a char

Settler
Dec 23, 2014
scotland
my youngsters used to love that when camping - ALWAYS into dead trees, natch. The system we used to ensure quick success was to get a safe, consistent throwing action, then pace back or forward until the distance was correct = 100%

Last edited:

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
nice vids thanks

just a few questions re throwing hawks, would more than one have been carried? Was that their specific role or was it more last ditched defence? I would imagine throwing a useful tool was not somthing you did lightly

nice vids thanks

just a few questions re throwing hawks, would more than one have been carried? Was that their specific role or was it more last ditched defence? I would imagine throwing a useful tool was not somthing you did lightly

I have not read anywhere to date that more than one tomahawk (Trade Axe) was carried by woodsmen or Indian. The tomahawks main function was as a working tool for trap & shelter construction & as an aid in butchering large game. It was also used for fighting, self-defence. The ability to be able to throw it meant that it could be used in battle, even for hunting small game, & of course for recreation in camp.
Modern warfare was based on the 18th century Roger's Rangers Rules, note the last one on the list.
Rogers' Rangers Standing Orders
By Major Robert Rogers, 1759
Don't forget nothing.
Have your musket clean as a whistle, hatchet scoured, sixty rounds powder and ball, and be ready to march at a minute's warning.
When you're on the march, act the way you would if you was sneaking up on a deer. See the enemy first.
Tell the truth about what you see and do. There is an army depending on us for correct information. You can lie all you please when you tell other folks about the Rangers, but don't never lie to a Ranger or officer.
Don't never take a chance you don't have to.
When we're on the march we march single file, far enough apart so one shot can't go through two men.
If we strike swamps, or soft ground, we spread out abreast, so it's hard to track us.
When we march, we keep moving till dark, so as to give the enemy the least possible chance at us.
When we camp, half the party stays awake while the other half sleeps.
If we take prisoners, we keep 'em separate til we have had time to examine them, so they can't cook up a story between 'em.
Don't ever march home the same way. Take a different route so you won't be ambushed.
No matter whether we travel in big parties or little ones, each party has to keep a scout 20 yards ahead, twenty yards on each flank and twenty yards in the rear, so the main body can't be surprised and wiped out.
Every night you'll be told where to meet if surrounded by a superior force.
Don't sit down to eat without posting sentries.
Don't sleep beyond dawn. Dawn's when the French and Indians attack.
Don't cross a river by a regular ford.
If somebody's trailing you, make a circle, come back onto your own tracks, and ambush the folks that aim to ambush you.
Don't stand up when the enemy's coming against you. Kneel down. Hide behind a tree.
Let the enemy come till he's almost close enough to touch. Then let him have it and jump out and finish him up with your hatchet.

This is the tomahawk scene from The Patriot. Mel Gibson was trained by an 18th century Living Historian.
[video=youtube;F-BQi0JjY2w]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-BQi0JjY2w[/video]

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
OT but I do like these instructional works such as those of Rogers, Che's guide for guerillas which includes the importance of cleaning one's teeth and Baden-Powell's guide for military scouting which would still work.

cool

so I take it the small mouse hawks were not normally carried?

Well I guess it depends on the size of this "mouse hawk" Corso. The weight of a trade axe head varies from 1lb upwards. But there were toy tomahawks for kids that were real axes.
Toy%20Tomahawks%207_zps2u7cwkkt.jpg

Two children's tomahawks. The top one was used by my sons when they were about 5-7 years of age. The lower one may be an original.
Keith.

CumbrianLad

Nomad
May 5, 2016
Carlisle
Well I guess it depends on the size of this "mouse hawk" Corso. The weight of a trade axe head varies from 1lb upwards. But there were toy tomahawks for kids that were real axes.
Toy%20Tomahawks%207_zps2u7cwkkt.jpg

Two children's tomahawks. The top one was used by my sons when they were about 5-7 years of age. The lower one may be an original.
Keith.
I all ways enjoy reading your posts keith you are a very intelligent guy

Sent from my VF-795 using Tapatalk

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Axe throwing (the double bit sort) has always been a favorite of mine to watch in Loggers' Sports.
Standing chops take striking accuracy, log burling and pole climbing mix endurance with brute strength.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
OT but I do like these instructional works such as those of Rogers, Che's guide for guerillas which includes the importance of cleaning one's teeth and Baden-Powell's guide for military scouting which would still work.

Plus 1. These are good. I believe the Army still teaches Roger's Rules at Ranger school (even if only for historical purposes)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE