Toffee tin stove

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Somewhere on the site - can't now find it - Corso drew attention to the 'Altoids Pocket Stove' by Spork on BCUSA at http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36678&page=7

altoids_stove01.jpg

I thought it looked quite neat (and easy) so I had a go.

Not quite so easy because bending wire wasn't as simple as I thought, even though I designed a very sophisticated jig :)

CIMG6599.JPG

Main problem was getting the bends in the right place so that the stand was level (it wasn't)

CIMG6610.JPG

But then I realised that because I was using a deeper tin than Sporc, that I didn't need a high stand as I only wanted to heat up a mug. The stove is a mini vaseline type tin a la Monkeyboy - see http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=83703&highlight=

So I just bent two 'straight' bits of wire:

CIMG6597.JPG

and this gave a level 'stand' with sufficient clearance for the mug (me??) that I wanted to use

CIMG6608.JPG

So ... not the world's greatest stove but good enough for a cuppa and the burner and bits of wire fit in the tin. I just need to find a small bottle to hold meths for one filling of the stove that will fit. And as usual had a lot of fun making it.

Incidentally later on in his thread Sporc concludes that a stand like this is better (it also fits in the tin)

altoids_stove11.jpg

But I didn't try to make it as metal work tends to be beyond me.

EDIT to include pics of meths bottle (= hotel toiletries bottle as suggested below by Peter H)

CIMG6635.JPG

the bottle is oval in shape and holds 30ml

CIMG6638.JPG

30ml is more than enough to fill the 'stove', which boils a a cup of water in about 8 minutes. I put some gaffer tape on the bottle top to help me to find it after I have taken it off

Last edited:

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Well the cross-shaped stand might be OK but your tin has its own windshield. :)

Bending metal, as you're finding out, is a skill that needs to be worked on. :)

When you know how much goes into making things, I think you start to have a bit more respect for things like containers and coat hangers. I can never throw one away. If you want a little plastic bottle for your meths let me know what dimensions (engineering term, a bit more required than 'size':)) it will need to fit inside and I'll see what I can find in the shed.

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
very smart mate, i like the idea of having a little stove that i can throw in a bag and forget about until i need it (or just find myself in town with an hour to kill and need something that can both relieve my boredom and satisfy my rebelious streak!), i think i shall have a bash at something like that

stuart

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
.....When you know how much goes into making things, I think you start to have a bit more respect for things like containers and coat hangers. I can never throw one away.....

you're just an old hippy at heart aren't you ged :240:

stuart

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
.................... If you want a little plastic bottle for your meths let me know what dimensions (engineering term, a bit more required than 'size':)) it will need to fit inside and I'll see what I can find in the shed.

Thanks for the offer Ged - on another thread

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=80531&p=1021445&highlight=#post1021445

PeterH suggestedthe bottles that "free" hotel shower gel / shampoo comes in and I know I have at least one somewhere in the house so need to try that first

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE