Todays bootmarket sharp finds

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
As the title says today's bootmarket sharp finds.
Not a bad haul I'd say, and I got change from £6.00.
The axe with the smaller handle is stamped, Marples of Sheffield, I think the other one is a Brades.
The hammer is interesting, might come in handy when I need a smaller hammer when forging.
As for the Two bill hooks they should come up clean with a bit of work along with some new handles.
Todaysbuys002.jpg

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
great finds mate, well done. i've renovated quite a few boot sale axes now, it's a great project, i keep looking out for a nice billhook to tart up as a gift for SWMBO, no luck yet though

stuart

Hugo

Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Well the above sharps cleaned up nicely.
The small billhook on the left is an Elwell 8 inch. It now sports a new apple wood handle.
The other billhook is a 10 inch Laughton and Jarrett of Horsham, it now sports a new eucalyptus handle.
The Two axes cleaned up pretty good with oiled handles and a good sharpening.
There is another Elwell billhook that I picked up on Wednesday from a market in Brighton, it was rusty looking and cost a whopping 0.50 pence
after a bit of work and a new handle of (I'm not sure what as I found a couple of logs on a railway track that might be oak) this one I put a stainless steel pin in to hold the handle on good and tight.

Picture to follow tomorrow.

Last edited:

Hugo

Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
I decided to put an old handle on the Marples axe head as I was not sure of the small one it had.
It only just fitted, with a couple of very small wedges for appearance.
It is the sharpest axe that I have.
Axes002.jpg

Hugo

Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
I decided to change the handle on the Marples axe as I was using it a lot yesterday and it became uncomfortable in the hand (wrist ache).
Having only apple wood to hand this is the result.
Rehandleinapple005.jpg

Rehandleinapple002.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE