Today's boot market essential buys

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Wanting a coping saw so looking around my local boot market I come across a nice Eclipse one mine for £1.00 not bad as it looks new, Went on to a nice guy called William, now William sometimes has axes, too late he sold an axe head prior to me getting there late but I picked up the stag handled carving knife, now this fits lovely in the left hand as it curves into the palm. so I might make a stick tang left hander out of it.
Looking at the two hand tools on Williams stall, not having seen a tool like them I am guessing they are some sort of saw blade setting tool, I'm hoping they are, then I notice William has 4 coping saws but I leave them there for someone who needs them, back I go to where I got mine earlier and haggle for the Spear and Jackson tenon saw and honing guide tool.
Well pleased with my buys, just looked on-line for the price of the saw new, £56.00 for this model.
Bootbuys001.jpg

It looks like I was right on one of the saw blade setting tool, the gold colour one, the other one might just be but I'm not sure, so guys what is the silver coloured hand tool next to the gold coloured one.

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
i use the same set as that gold one on my saws, they work well but even with larger panel or bow saws the lower setting are all that is needed.

pete

Hugo

Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Thanks Peter mate, I'm glad you mentioned it as I'll bring it along on the next meet so as you can give me some tips on using it.

Hugo

Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Blooming eck, the tenon saw is mighty sharp, I'm well pleased with it, going to be an asset to me, my old one must have been blunt from day one when I bought it.

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
i could teach you how to sharpen a saw if you like. maybe that spare blade of mine like the one on the blue bow saw;)
would need to knock up a saw vice, could probably make a jig to fit in a work mate

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
You must be the bloke that gets there just before me and leaves me only the junk!
Nice find.

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Fairly sure you will find that the saw setting tool will give too much set for your tenon saw. If I remember right mine (also an Eclipse) only goes upto 12 teeth per inch and the tenon saw will be more than that.
My tenon saw is about 14tpi if i remember right.
If you see any brass backed saws they are worth keeping hold of as the weight helps the cut a bit.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE