today i made rabbit fur ear muffs

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
having the worst day today! luckily something useful has come out of it. ignore the shoddy stitching.

tis thick veg tanned strap tooled with oak leaves and valknut. thinner inner leather with a plastic hair band slid intae the pocket tae give it a tight shape. muffs are rabbit fur sewn over two thick discs of leather on each side. tis a bit ad hoc but keep getting chilly ears when out hobbling around needed a quick (free) solution.
imag0347z.jpg

By wanderingpict at 2011-12-19

imag0359wx.jpg

imag0360s.jpg

imag0352z.jpg

and one cheesey looking **** with toasty ears :approve:

imag0362l.jpg

if anyone could offer any other ideas or projects that would keep me busy would appreciate it having a hell of a time with operations and mostly stuck indoors. got two big boxes o leather but nae clue fit tae make besides pouches and knife sheaths.

thanks for looking.
Hamish

Dreadhead

Good to see the young brave enough to make a bold fashion statement like that, certainly if worn around town;)

haha certainly wouldnae bother me after wearing my kilt for several years and these days i seem tae mostly be in viking kit as i can never find other clothes

Nice one. I can swap you horn for leather, then you can have a go at scrimshaw and carving if you like.

thankyou but i shall pass for now. i have some more antler rune pendants and dread beads iv been meaning tae finish for ages! trying tae delv more intae leathercraft. however i ken who tae ask in future ;)

TurboGirl

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
Your earmuffs are smashing!! If you've got a couple more cured pelts, dreadbands are a good way of keeping them outta your work and still keeping earoles toasty :) Doesn't give you the opportunity to show and do your fab tooling tho... guess a stick thro a tooled leather circle to cinch em back pony-style is a bit too same-old :)

Dreadhead

Your earmuffs are smashing!! If you've got a couple more cured pelts, dreadbands are a good way of keeping them outta your work and still keeping earoles toasty :) Doesn't give you the opportunity to show and do your fab tooling tho... guess a stick thro a tooled leather circle to cinch em back pony-style is a bit too same-old :)

ooo good idea! im sure SWMBO would like something like that shall have tae get more pelts :) used up almost a full one on the muffs. each muff has balled up scraps inside tae puff them out a bit

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
haha certainly wouldnae bother me after wearing my kilt for several years and these days i seem tae mostly be in viking kit as i can never find other clothes

thankyou but i shall pass for now. i have some more antler rune pendants and dread beads iv been meaning tae finish for ages! trying tae delv more intae leathercraft. however i ken who tae ask in future ;)

You wouldn't be Scottish, by any chance?:) Nice muffs!

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
hi mate, how about a nice box, its a great stitch to master, and not used that much, i love doing things with it, the box stitch that is, but a lot of leather workers tend to not bother because its hard to get it right, and look good, will give you many a hour of practice mate.
maybe make a tissue box to hold tissues, or a round case to hold pens or something.
something like this, i made for my stamping tools.

009 by lucky_lee, on Flickr
you could make something like this to hold yours, you need to put a wooden block inside, that way you can drill a hole and keep adding your tools, this one is full now, and i have had to make another lol.
or a phone case maybe, utilizing the same stitch like this.

011 by lucky_lee, on Flickr

Rod Paradise

Oct 16, 2008
Upper Nithsdale, Dumfriesshire
I've just made myself a Biker bow-saw, fancy making me a sheath/back quiver for it? I'll give a bit of thought to things we could swap for it or you could give me an idea of how much you'd want to make it?

Thinking roughly a 24x2x1.5 inch pouch, fold over flap, leather strap to sling it over my shoulders.......

Dreadhead

What stitch was that? id like to know

id ignorantly go ahead and say a regular stitch? nae sure i just loop in and out as normal then double back tae fill in the gaps. i missed some stitches out where the leaves intrude. never bother with fancy stitching, aint got tae be bombproof afterall.

I've just made myself a Biker bow-saw, fancy making me a sheath/back quiver for it? I'll give a bit of thought to things we could swap for it or you could give me an idea of how much you'd want to make it?

Thinking roughly a 24x2x1.5 inch pouch, fold over flap, leather strap to sling it over my shoulders.......

delighted in your interest but if im honest im a shoddy craftsman really just started getting intae leatherwork and definitly nae sure that i could garuantee you a fine product, especially without the item in question tae draw patterns around n whatnot. there are much better leatherworkers on this forum who im sure would be more useful tae you

thanks for the feedback folks

Rod Paradise

Oct 16, 2008
Upper Nithsdale, Dumfriesshire
delighted in your interest but if im honest im a shoddy craftsman really just started getting intae leatherwork and definitly nae sure that i could garuantee you a fine product, especially without the item in question tae draw patterns around n whatnot. there are much better leatherworkers on this forum who im sure would be more useful tae you

When you see the bowsaw (I'll probably take some pics tomorrow when the linseed oil's soaked in/dried) - you'll realise that shoddy craftsman would be a step up! ;) Basic/Rustic is where I'm at. If you get really bored & fancy trying it give me a shout, otherwise I'll wait till my contacts at the dump tell me someone's chucked away a leather suite so I can scavenge the hide off it.... then I'll try and make it myself - the one thing I can guarantee is it will be 'rustic/basic'.

Dreadhead

When you see the bowsaw (I'll probably take some pics tomorrow when the linseed oil's soaked in/dried) - you'll realise that shoddy craftsman would be a step up! ;) Basic/Rustic is where I'm at. If you get really bored & fancy trying it give me a shout, otherwise I'll wait till my contacts at the dump tell me someone's chucked away a leather suite so I can scavenge the hide off it.... then I'll try and make it myself - the one thing I can guarantee is it will be 'rustic/basic'.

ill have a look at the pictures and possibly give it a go tis just getting sizing right as with making sheaths. we shall see aye

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
id ignorantly go ahead and say a regular stitch? nae sure i just loop in and out as normal then double back tae fill in the gaps. i missed some stitches out where the leaves intrude. never bother with fancy stitching, aint got tae be bombproof afterall.

thanks for the feedback folks
i did explain in the post what stich it was mate, its called a box stitch, and desighned for when you are making box's, if you research you will see what i mean, thought you might be interested in that kind of thing mate, as you are just starting out, and its a great stitch to master bud.
take care.
lee.

Dreadhead

i did explain in the post what stich it was mate, its called a box stitch, and desighned for when you are making box's, if you research you will see what i mean, thought you might be interested in that kind of thing mate, as you are just starting out, and its a great stitch to master bud.
take care.
lee.

ah sorry yes, i misunderstood and thought tengu was asking what stitch i had used on the muffs!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE