Today i got my first ember

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
May 28, 2010
oxford
I can't get my head around this obsession with friction fire lighting. I can understand the obvious need for fire and all the relevant tasks that can be accomplished by having it....BUT....we are not in state of armageddon where simple fire lighting (lighter or 10:p) is not available. We do not live in prehistoric times where said lighters do not exist and hence 15 hours of arm breaking bow-drilling is the only alternative. What is so enjoyable about getting painful blisters and muscle fatigue to establish a coal that is then blown into a birds nest to facilitate what can be achieved with...matches/lighter/hexamine or similar fuel. It is well known to most wilderness experts and mock TV survival experts that most of the time it simply doesn't work!!! I am all for enjoying nature and bushwalking (for the ensuing onslaught --> Yes, I am a keen hiker and am very experienced in fieldcraft) but why is there this need to do things that make it X15 harder. A good woodsman is prepared before going into the field (ie like swampy99 says, make provision for the loss of your primary fire making tool). Couldn't agree more with Swampy.

Dec 16, 2007
I can't get my head around this obsession with friction fire lighting. I can understand the obvious need for fire and all the relevant tasks that can be accomplished by having it....BUT....we are not in state of armageddon where simple fire lighting (lighter or 10:p) is not available. We do not live in prehistoric times where said lighters do not exist and hence 15 hours of arm breaking bow-drilling is the only alternative. What is so enjoyable about getting painful blisters and muscle fatigue to establish a coal that is then blown into a birds nest to facilitate what can be achieved with...matches/lighter/hexamine or similar fuel. It is well known to most wilderness experts and mock TV survival experts that most of the time it simply doesn't work!!! I am all for enjoying nature and bushwalking (for the ensuing onslaught --> Yes, I am a keen hiker and am very experienced in fieldcraft) but why is there this need to do things that make it X15 harder. A good woodsman is prepared before going into the field (ie like swampy99 says, make provision for the loss of your primary fire making tool). Couldn't agree more with Swampy.

I thank you sir.

Dec 16, 2007
Goons, its not so much the task but the effort, and the sense of achievement, stop being rude, and just celebrate MOT's happy post.

Now who is being rude by calling me a goon. But it is the word "effort" that is the point. I cant see the point of putting so much effort in to getting a fire when you cna use a lighter. So after you have sweated yourself in to a pile of disapointment I would have finished my brew packed my kit up and the offered you a drink of water to replace the sweat you have lost.

Plus I dont have to celebrate someone elses success as there seem to be so many other people happy to blow sunshine up peoples ***** the second they do some thing "bushie".

I shall now stand back and wait for the bushcraft snobs to flame me or the mods to rant at me.

Last edited:
May 28, 2010
oxford
Goons, its not so much the task but the effort, and the sense of achievement, stop being rude, and just celebrate MOT's happy post.

Goon?? Stand down the attitude and rudeness. The last time I checked, we live in a democracy and everyone is free to express their opinions openly. If you took the time to read the reply to the post, I was not in any way putting down MOTs happiness (congrats on the 3 years hard work) but was simply expressing my own opinion on the broader topic in hand. The use of a system that has limited worth in the real world --> and the potential to be detrimental to those who put faith in something that when most needed will fail (when was the last time you heard from the well publised survival experts "take a lighter - it works"). I was trying to emphasize the need for good fieldcraft. HOWEVER, if that's you're hobby well carry on the with the hard work.

Dec 16, 2007
Well if you would like to watch this even the T.S.I's that RM raves about asks if anyone has a lighter.

[video=youtube;DtjX6gsNXFk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtjX6gsNXFk&feature=re lmfu[/video]

Wonder if he is a goon?

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I think your opinions on wether fire by friction is a worthwhile skill are valid - However - they belong in another thread. Stop raining on MOT's parade and go start your own thread on the matter.

Although you may as well call it:

"why do people climb mountains"

Oh and

Well done Sam.

Edcraft

Forager
Apr 17, 2012
Liverpool
Well done. They can take all your kit, your car etc but they can't take your knowledge (unless they smash your head in taking your car lol) but like Ray says, when you need all your gear you won't have it, so, well done.

Edcraft

Forager
Apr 17, 2012
Liverpool
As for "we're not in an apocalypse". Do you watch the news? It could come to that, or at least supply lines be cut by fuel shortages. Anything could happen... in the next half hour dn dndn dndn dndnd d (lol)

Swampy99 and partec
you both have valid points i do carry a lighter (i smoke so always have several about my person) i usually have a spark stick about me for lighting my meths stove so i don't need to be able to make fire by friction.
however as it something that i wanted to learn/accomplish and i have asked and received advice from folk on this forum including several who have commented in this thread i thought i would share my success with the forum.

perhaps if you weren't interested in my success you maybe should of done what a lot of folk have chosen to do and just not commented? (just a thought:))

PS swampy 99 if you want to blow sunshine anywhere near me you could at least buy me a drink and tell me you will still respect me afterwards :)

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton

15 hours and blisters and muscle fatigue? You're doing something wrong mate!

I have about 10 bic lighters secreated about my kit. That works fine for me. No sweat, no hurty knees. If that fails Ill use the cig lighter from my Jeep that is emberish. Or the ferro rod. Or the petrol in the tank on a rag and the spark from the battery.

I can see the point of friction but it is a last resort and nothing to get excited about.

Would I be right in thinking you lads haven't achieved this method yourselves yet? There are lots of things in life we can get by without but what fun would it be? Ignore the vibe snipers Sam, it truely is a great feeling to be able to produce fire with materials gathered in the woods. Well done and keep practicing it as it gets easier and easier when you keep on top of it.

Last edited:

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
uk mainly in the Midlands though
Well done Sam, having tried myself for a large amount of years myself to get a ember and fire but bow drill, I finally did mine at a Spitewinter meet with several friends under the excellent tutelage of our very own Addo. several people and other military experts had tried to teach me, but I did not get the ember till then. I know what a sense of achievement it gives you and I know I should practice more of the primitive skills that I want to learn, but just by having the knowledge I have and the confidence of have achieved once, or twice :) it gives you the realization that you may be able to do it again, if needed. I certainly always carry at least two forms of fire lighting no matter where I am, and they are the main ways I go to first, but having the knowledge to do more is always a bonus and if it helps you to live so much the better is what i say. :)

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
Well done MOT; like Kepis said, you'll remember the details of that moment for life.

To the two naysayers, you're completely missing the point. It isn't about "Survival" when you could simply use a lighter, it is about setting yourself a personal goal and achieving it despite many many failures.

Most of us here choose to learn early skills and technologies because the very process of learning and understanding is both fascinating and challenging. In an era where virtually everything can be done at the touch of a button, having the determination and motivation to complete something like this is to be admired.

Firelite

Forager
Feb 25, 2010
bedfordshire
In view of the lack of response to the question raised about whether the nay sayers have mastered this technique, together with the expressed belief (possibly hyperbole?) that it takes 15 hours to get an ember, should we take it that they have yet to achieve fire by this method? Its a free country with freedom of expression, but the comments were, at best, rather disingenuous in my view. May I add my congratulations to the OP, well done mate.

Dec 16, 2007
In view of the lack of response to the question raised about whether the nay sayers have mastered this technique, together with the expressed belief (possibly hyperbole?) that it takes 15 hours to get an ember, should we take it that they have yet to achieve fire by this method? Its a free country with freedom of expression, but the comments were, at best, rather disingenuous in my view. May I add my congratulations to the OP, well done mate.

Oh sorry you wanted clarification to weather I have done this. Ok yes I have I have done it about 5 years ago for a laugh once to see if I had read the instructions in a book right. Then I lit one by using a lens, parabolic mirror, natural and man made tinder a spark stick, matches and then the trusty lighter that I now use all the time but do carry a secondary way of lighting fire.

I didnt know that I had to post it on here for you to then feel that I am worth being called a Bushcrafter, woodsman etc.

Still it is only camping that we do.

Carry on

May 28, 2010
oxford

I must say I have very much enjoyed this thread and a gained a keen insight into what different people class as "bushcraft". Naysayer though?? - (come on that is getting a little bit too Dark Ages on my bottom - any new threads on making chainmail and tips on avoiding the plague??) well Nay I Say... I will AGAIN point out that my posts were not intended to knock a mans hobby or pour scorn on his efforts but WERE my opinions on the topic of friction fire lighting in the modern day. We do live in the 21st century right???

Furthermore, YES, I have many years experience in fieldcraft/bushcraft - I have been shown by civilian and military instructors a variety of friction fire lighting techniques. I have tried AND suceeded at using these methods (though more often failed than succeeded) in the field and thus believe I am in a position to substantiate my claim that it is a redundant skill that for the most part does not work in a practical setting. So, disingenuous NO and of course it was a hyperbole figure of speech.

Therefore, in conclusion, please take my view as it is intended.

Oh just a quick word to my fellow Naysayer - spat my brew across the room at your replys - good practical outlook.

H

Hairyman

Hi all,

I cant see the first 8 posts for some reason.(edit OK figured it out)
Anyhow congrats m_o_t, Ive just recently done this for the first time myself, getting a coal was pretty easy once set up.
I used grass tree stem on a pine board (Im in Oz). I tried again the next morning and had no luck. I think the materials must have been a bit damp from the
morning dew. Moral....make sure everything is really dry or you are wasting your time.... and take time to prepare a good tinder bed.
Nothing worse than getting a coal and then see it die.
Hand drill next.

Hairy

Last edited by a moderator:

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Sam, id missed this thread. Well done indeed. Its something ive not got round too yet but will soon. I have some hazel seasoning.

I have an image of you being like Tom Hanks in Castaway running up and down beating your chest shouting 'fire, i made fire'

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE