Toastie bag cooking

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
On a recent thread in bushcraft chatter that I started about me being lazy about pot cleaning when just out for a days bimbling, I was introduced to a whole new world of freezer bag cooking and roasting bag cooking at this thread here http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51489

Looking these up on the internet I then found toastie bags, and as they were on the shelves at Aldi on Saturday, I bought a pack of two.

One bag took 4 fish fingers and neatly sat the small rectangular army mess tin.

Over a Honey stove the fish fingers cooked inside the bag very quickly (burnt them a bit), but were as good as I have tasted, crispy on the outside and moist in the inside. Mind you I hate fish fingers, so probably not the best person to judge, it just seemed an obvious thing to try.

The pan was still completely clean on the inside and the toastie bag easily rolled up in a polybag for cleaning at home.

The instructions suggest you can cook bacon/beefburgers etc as well as the obvious toasty sandwiches in them.

OK, not exactly gourmet cooking, but very convenient for occasional use when cleaning the pan afterwards might be a problem.

Graham,

P.S. my aldi toastie bag split up the side when I turned it outside in to clean it :-(

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
Toastie bags are usually made from silicone which is basically sand and is perfectly safe as far as I know.

Thanks, although to be frank, I'm not overly concerned given the low frequency of use I am likely to give them, and because I'm using them pretty much as they are designed to be used. Not totally disinterested, but equally not that worried.

Graham

magicaldr

Jan 12, 2010
Surrey
P.S. my aldi toastie bag split up the side when I turned it outside in to clean it :-(

Must have just had bad luck there, not that mine came from aldi but normally they last a good few months in the toaster doing cheese and ham toasties for the kids. (not bushcrafty I know, but they love em).

Never thought of them as out and about kit, but thinking on it they are light, waterproof, and heat resistant so does make a lot of sense. Also they pretty much non stick.

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
Must have just had bad luck there, not that mine came from aldi but normally they last a good few months in the toaster doing cheese and ham toasties for the kids. (not bushcrafty I know, but they love em).

Never thought of them as out and about kit, but thinking on it they are light, waterproof, and heat resistant so does make a lot of sense. Also they pretty much non stick.

Yes, I suspect bad luck as well, the packet says up to 50 uses. That apart they do look a useful way of cooking things, when cleaning the pan might be difficult and you don't want a dirty inside to the pan, because other kit nests inside it. I will certainly be trying it again.

I might even try one in the toaster :)

Graham

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE