toadstools

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
can anyone id these?
they are growing in soil shared with a dragon tree plant,the plant was kept outside in the warmer months.....cheers.. :confused:
toadstools.jpg
[/IMG]

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
wolf said:
can anyone id these?
they are growing in soil shared with a dragon tree plant,the plant was kept outside in the warmer months.....cheers.. :confused:

The picture is not brilliant, but they appear to be one of the many Microlepiota, which are quite common, and most of which are inedible, if not purgative. Same family as the larger, and very edible Macrolepiota, which includes M. procera (parasol mushroom) and M. rhacodes (the shaggy variety).

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
The first looks like earthballs, or maybe puff balls - break one open if there's black powdery stuff inside it's an earthball and don't eat it. Puffballs you can eat if they are young enough and all white inside. Though check the ID properly as I'm not sure if there are any puffballs that are bad for you.

The second one? Is it not a manky oyster mushroom? I hate soft focus shots ;)

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
Oysters are often funny colours. I would rarely describe them as grey but many do and everyone has their own interpretation.That being said you're probably right with Chicken. It's pretty hard to mix up when you're holding it. I don't tend to see them this late in the year in the South-East, but then fungi rarely stick to the rules!
What tree did you take it from though? Make sure it wasn't growing on a Yew tree.

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
The first one, though it is hard to tell from the photo, could be an Earthball, or one of the Puffball family Lycoperdon umbrinium.

As for the second one it would have been easier to identify it BEFORE you stood on it ;) ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE