To hold a bowl

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
With my new found interest in carving, I decided I needed to make a sloped chopping block to hold bowls while doing the adze work. This is my version, with the idea for it coming from Robin Wood's blog, but much larger, similar to the one shown here: http://greenwood-carving.blogspot.ca/2009/06/wooden-bowl-carving.html
First, the material has to be obtained. Pine and spruce are what we have so that is what I used. Here I've found a spruce knocked down by the wind.
ad680b0f.jpg

After clearing away the branches, I made a series of cuts
fb8fb69f.jpg

Using an axe to chop out the pieces
7fbcd572.jpg

Cleaned up a bit
1c023867.jpg

Cut free of the tree
94d588ab.jpg

After trimming it up and cutting an angle on the base and on the back where it rests against a wall, I then peeled the bark. Next I drilled a series of holes (I got a bit carried away here!:)) and whittled some pegs. The idea is to place the wood being worked on onto the bottom of the cut out portion and then hold it firmly in place by pounding the pegs in to the closest holes.
IMG_3084.jpg

I may need several holes lower down as well. I expect some fine tuning will be needed. I'm sure it'll be better than trying to hold something freehand:rolleyes:

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
UPDATE:

Just an update on what I thought would be the ultimate bowl holding apparatus: it sucks:)
I find myself using the ledge part on the bottom as a bit of a chopping block more than anything else, and to brace what I'm working on against the back to keep it from moving about. But that's about it.

As far as using pegs tapped in to hold things, it does work to a certain extent but more often than not the holes are not quite where they should be, being a bit too far away or a bit too close to what I'm trying to hold.
Even when I am able to wedge the workpiece in securely, to make different cuts necessitates working from different angles, so it needs to be moved too often.
So, it's back to the drawing board:eek:

I thought it prudent to advise of my experience before someone went to all the trouble of making something similar, just to find it not so user friendly and causing them to curse me:rolleyes: Then again, maybe someone else would like it, who knows.

Next on the list to try is one like what's shown in the link:
I suspect that the reason Robin uses this style is because it works.:)

http://greenwood-carving.blogspot.ca/search?q=bowl+horse

Two Socks

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
Norway
Thanks for doing the experiment and sharing the outcome. It`ll save some (me at least) the trouble of going through the same at some point. :You_Rock_

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Perhaps cam-like pegs might work? Pegs with off set centres, so if one side doesn't touch you rotate the peg around until the cam face touches and hold the piece. Might work. I still think you're onto a really good idea here, even if it hasn't worked out quite as you'd hope to start with.

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I did wonder.

I've made something similar to Robin's adzing bench - mine doesn't have legs, just sits on the ground. It's fine.

Most of the time I swing the adze or axe single-handed, so the 'off' hand isn't holding the piece, it's just angling it for the cuts. The log cutouts take the force of the blow.

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
Perhaps cam-like pegs might work? Pegs with off set centres, so if one side doesn't touch you rotate the peg around until the cam face touches and hold the piece. Might work.

Such a simple idea and yet a bit of genius there Biker. Thank you, I think that would work:)
Another thing I found was that the pegs I'd made were too long and were in the way, so a good variety of different length pegs would be useful.
The idea is not a complete loss, as it does work to a certain extent -I just want it to work better:rolleyes:
I believe the main advantage to the type of adzing/carving bench shown by Robin, the one with legs, is the ability to move 360 degrees while working, giving unobstructed access to the workpiece.

Biker

Such a simple idea and yet a bit of genius there Biker. Thank you, I think that would work:)

I'd like to thank the Academy, my agent and the evil genius professor for exposing me to an IQ-enhancing dose of gamma radiation. :notworthy

Y'welcome mate. Happy to have helped. I had another thought too... if you want to read it. Angle the holes for the pegs slightly away from the centre of the circle so they also clamp the piece against the base. An exaggerated example would be something resembling teepee poles with the piece held in the centre. Anyway, pleased to have given you some food for thought with the cam pegs idea.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE