To hold a bowl - part two!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
Since I wasn't completely happy with my last endeavour for holding bowls, (sorry Biker, I haven't yet tried your suggestions on the first model!), I've gotten a start on another type, like what Robin is using here: bowl horse
This is basically it, sitting on top of the legs, which I will install as soon as I get a brace and bit big enough to drill the holes for them. I even copied his idea of having a little shelf on one end for chopping.:)
ae781319-1e4e-4bc8-b80c-e0659a83fdb4_zps34532247.jpg

This is the general idea. Shown is a piece of birch wedged in by a couple wedges. Rather than using a bunch of them, I rough squared a couple pieces to fill in some of the flat area when working on shorter stuff. By using a combination of blocks and wedges, any length of workpiece can be held securely.
IMG_4204_zps990cd203.jpg

I used a much bigger log than necessary, thinking that the added weight might make it more sturdy.
Once I get the legs on I'll see how it works. Right now it'll rock like an upside down turtle:D Some fine tuning will no doubt be required!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE