To goretex or not to goretex?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Folcwigga

Forager
Aug 11, 2009
London
Recently i asked a question about getting a good pair of boots, and after searching around a bit i've found a lot of the options come in a basic version and goretex (or other waterproof material) lined option which is slightly more expensive. What are the pros and cons of having goretex boots? I know from jackets and trousers that "breathable" is a relative term and if you exert yourself with them you can still end up gopping wet from the trapped sweat anyway.

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Many people say the liners break down quickly but ive not found this with my scarpas. they have over 1000 miles on them and feet are still kept dry when bog munching. I still get sweaty feet though on a long walk

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
If you get good leather, non-GTX, boots and spend a bit of time fettling the leather properly and regularly, your feet won't get wet; if you get GTX boots and the lining does break down the boots take forever to dry, and I mean forever! I've never found GTX boots that breath, in my experience it's the wrong environment for any membrane to remain breathable, theyre sweaty, and inevitably get clogged with all the dirt associated with footware and just break down.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Not to GoreTex!

I Lind leather boots much better. I now use Lundhags forest boots and find them extremely good, well made and perform brilliantly!

GoreTex boots and clothing don't breathe near as well either- and no one likes sweaty socks!

I've had lots of GoreTex boots fail, My dad walks the dog about a mile or two every day and his GoreTex membrane boots actually rotted in less than a year- bad form.

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
I think there is a middle ground. All leather boots with a GTX (or similar) lining. My Brasher supalite 2's fill this role quite well, I've had mine for about a year (I'd give a conservative estimate of 200miles of mixed hill walking and messing about in the woods) now so early days perhaps but so far they've been very good. I keep them well maintained and give them a good dose of dubbin after each use. Should the membranes fail at some point in the future the all leather construction will keep them waterproof for years to come. They can be had for <£120 online. Take some breaking in though!

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I can't see much point in lining a good pair leather boots in a waterproof/breathable membrane. As Mac says, well treated leather on a boot with minimum stitch holes is effectively waterproof. Yes, they will wick a bit of water in in very wet use but dry out much more quickly. Cheaper muli-panel boots have many stitch lines for water ingress, a full one piece leather upper has only one seam at the back and this is pretty much sealed.

A caveat to this is long use in very wet conditions. Constant deep puddles and mud and constant wet snow gives the liner an edge but to be honest, I'd rather use a pair of Yeti gaiters and keep the water off the leather. Any liner is also harder to clean and keep breathable.

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England
I have a strong preference for decent leather boots. The only GoreTex pair I had were hot, sweaty, and the membrane broke down eventually which made the boots a complete pain in the feet.

rg598

Native
I love my GoreTex boots. They do a great job at keeping water out. It makes a big difference when you are going through wet areas and they are much easier to keep consistently waterproof than pure leather boots.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Recently i asked a question about getting a good pair of boots, and after searching around a bit i've found a lot of the options come in a basic version and goretex (or other waterproof material) lined option which is slightly more expensive. What are the pros and cons of having goretex boots? I know from jackets and trousers that "breathable" is a relative term and if you exert yourself with them you can still end up gopping wet from the trapped sweat anyway.

Don't bother with the goretex version, they don't breathe anywhere near as fast as your feet will sweat. You are better off spending the extra money on a couple of pairs of good wool socks, and changing them daily.

My current shoes are goretex, and If I had the option I would have got non goretex. Alas the only outdoor shop in town only had goretex shoes.

J

Feb 18, 2012
Bedfordshire
I am another who prefers non goretex. Well cared for leather boots keep out the water. I work outdoors and never get wet feet unless I step in a stream or puddle that goes over the top of my boots. Just my humble opinion. The key is caring for the leather. I would recommend altbergs, meindl or lowas if your budget allows, but as I am sure you know there are loads to choose from. Worth popping into your nearest military surplus place if you want a lower priced boot as you may get on with some of the various issue boots out there. You can pick ones up with next to no usage so you can still mould them to your feet. Good luck

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
I think it depends on you personally. For me Goretex in boots seems to make my feet stink if I wear them for more than a few hours a day.

And I mean really, really, stink, like I can't bear to be in the same tent as the boots and have to leave them outside with a cover over them to stop the rain and the odd scorpion getting in. I think the scorpons are just looking for what died in there.

If I spray them inside with some sort of deodorant made for shoes they aren't too bad but you don't always want to be carrying a can of that stuff around, and it only seems to last for a few days.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I prefer non Goretex boots for all but the wettest use.
Unfortunately the membrane in Goretex boots tends to give up its waterproof abilities long before the rest of the boot does AND the goretex tends to lose its breathability at about the same rte... so you have leaky , sweaty boots for a large part of their lifespan...

Blaidd

Nomad
Jun 23, 2013
UK
Slightly off topic. I read advice from a serving soldier to change into Goretex in camp where it wouldn't get so worn and you weren't working up a sweat and ordinary gear for out-of-camp. But that's military use, obviously. Just thought it might be interesting to pop this in here.

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Slightly off topic. I read advice from a serving soldier to change into Goretex in camp where it wouldn't get so worn and you weren't working up a sweat and ordinary gear for out-of-camp. But that's military use, obviously. Just thought it might be interesting to pop this in here.

I'd say that's good advice. I'm a great fan of the issue Goretex bivvy. It's a life-saver if you hit the sack soaking wet. Your body heat will pump loads of moisture out through the membrane and dry you (and your clothing) surprisingly quickly. I reckon on three or four hours from drowned rat to toasty-cosy-dont-want-to-get-out.

It's just not much good for me in boots. :(

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
If you have goretex lined leather boots and you treat them with gubbin or similar, doesn't this remove what little breath ability there was in the boot? I have brasher hill master 2's goretex lined boots, I treat them after every use, iv got no idea how many miles they have on them as I don't no how to work it out, but what I will say is iv worn them every single time iv been out camping and walking for the 3 years iv had them, my feet still stay perfectly dry, and either my feet don't sweat very much or they breath very well indeed.
Either way when these run out I would buy another in a heart beat!!
Horses for courses I guess!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rg598

Native
No waterproof boot is going to be breathable to a degree one would like. If you waterproof leather boots, they will not be breathable. The breathability of GoreTex when compared to waterproofed leather is six of one; half dozen of the other. If I want waterproof boots, then I will get waterproof boots, and ones that I don't have to fuss with too much. For me that is GoreTex lined boots.

I know some people prefer highly breathable cloth booths, but they are not waterproof at all. The approach there is that you get wet easily, but you dry more easily as well. I still prefer GoreTex because it keeps me dry when going through puddles, as well as when it is seriously wet.

As far as people's feet smelling too much or sweating too much, that is certainly a personal issue. I have never had those problem in any type of boot. A good pair of wool socks and I am good to go.

MarkinLondon

Nomad
May 17, 2013
Bedfordshire
No waterproof boot is going to be breathable to a degree one would like.

As far as people's feet smelling too much or sweating too much, that is certainly a personal issue. I have never had those problem in any type of boot. A good pair of wool socks and I am good to go.

I agree completely.

I own and love both GTX boots, GTX/Leather boots, and full leather boots. Keep them clean and treated and they will all keep water from entering. Side note: I'm a Neetsfoot oil and Dubbin junkie for my leather stuff. But to ignore the rest of the equation (the socks!) is silly. A wicking under-sock and a thick wool sock must complete the foot-system if you would like warm dry feet. You should also do your best to air your feet, socks and boots at reasonable intervals during your adventures. Nothing dries your feet better than fresh air.

Folcwigga

Forager
Aug 11, 2009
London
Thanks for the answers, i went with non goretex for many of the reasons stated above. If my feet get wet occasionally i can always dry them easily enough. Much easier than if they are over heating and sweaty every time i have the boots on.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Thanks for the answers, i went with non goretex for many of the reasons stated above. If my feet get wet occasionally i can always dry them easily enough. Much easier than if they are over heating and sweaty every time i have the boots on.

Good stuff mate! Glad you got sorted :).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE