To all those who are also members of SWB ...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Hi guys and gals
Sorry for the unusual way of contacting you all but my Anti Virus on my PC tells me the SWB site has "Active threats" and will not let me access the site.
Can one of you with more PC savvy than swearing at a confuser to solve any glitches have a look see ...
My confuser is on its last legs and is giving me all sorts of probs with the internet so it could just be my confuser getting confused....
Cheers

tim_c

Feb 23, 2012
Bury St. Edmunds, Suffolk
Which operating system, anti-virus software and internet browser are you using?

It's possible your browser is just confused and has an out-of-date ssl cert etc, clearing the browser cache might do it? Or somebody could have reported the site and your anti-virus is just playing it safe? Or it could be a virus trying to redirect you somewhere bad, is the problem affecting any other sites? (Or it could be several other things)

In my experience if a computer gets a virus any anti-virus software is almost useless. It's best to avoid getting viruses in the first place and protecting the browser is the best way to do that. On Windows 7 I use 'Microsoft Security Essentials' rather than a commercial anti-virus and I use Firefox browser with 'Ad-block Plus', 'Noscript', 'Request Policy' and 'Ghostery' plugins. These plugins can be configured to block by default unless you explictly allow websites to run scripts to communicate between each other, this is a very good way to stop advertisers tracking you and to help prevent 'drive-by' virus installs from naughty websites (and it can be as simple as a malicious advert on a normally trustworthy website). (Yes it's a pain the first time you visit your favourite sites to enable scripts and request policy but then those settings are remembered and you'll find you quickly get through and configure the common sites you visit.)
http://windows.microsoft.com/mse

If you're feeling more techie you could modify your computers 'hosts' file which will stop your computer communicating with known virus (and other nasty) distribution channels:
http://someonewhocares.org/hosts/ # It's just a text file that tells your computer how to resolve domain names vs internet IP addresses

I don't use Windows full-time so I'm not really an expert on current threats and fixes etc. Hopefully any windows experts on the forum won't mock me too badly for my advice.

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
Had a look John and no threat warning appears for me,I'm running AVG security software and it normally warns me if anything is amiss.
Can't help any further sorry,you know more about computers than me.:D

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
Which operating system, anti-virus software and internet browser are you using?

It's possible your browser is just confused and has an out-of-date ssl cert etc, clearing the browser cache might do it? Or somebody could have reported the site and your anti-virus is just playing it safe? Or it could be a virus trying to redirect you somewhere bad, is the problem affecting any other sites? (Or it could be several other things)

In my experience if a computer gets a virus any anti-virus software is almost useless. It's best to avoid getting viruses in the first place and protecting the browser is the best way to do that. On Windows 7 I use 'Microsoft Security Essentials' rather than a commercial anti-virus and I use Firefox browser with 'Ad-block Plus', 'Noscript', 'Request Policy' and 'Ghostery' plugins. These plugins can be configured to block by default unless you explictly allow websites to run scripts to communicate between each other, this is a very good way to stop advertisers tracking you and to help prevent 'drive-by' virus installs from naughty websites (and it can be as simple as a malicious advert on a normally trustworthy website). (Yes it's a pain the first time you visit your favourite sites to enable scripts and request policy but then those settings are remembered and you'll find you quickly get through and configure the common sites you visit.)
http://windows.microsoft.com/mse

If you're feeling more techie you could modify your computers 'hosts' file which will stop your computer communicating with known virus (and other nasty) distribution channels:
http://someonewhocares.org/hosts/ # It's just a text file that tells your computer how to resolve domain names vs internet IP addresses

I don't use Windows full-time so I'm not really an expert on current threats and fixes etc. Hopefully any windows experts on the forum won't mock me too badly for my advice.

John,Are you scared now?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE