Titanium Plate

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jack5319

Sep 23, 2013
manchester
i have about 11 pieces of 20x10cm and 4mm thick titanium plate. has anyone got any ideas as to what i could do with them or what would you do with them?

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
If they are 6AL4V or equivalent someone might be interested in using them for frame locks on folding knives. You could try on British Blades. They are a touch thick, most handles/frames are 1/8th thick, but that extra thickness gives room to sculpt them if desired.

Titanium is pretty hard to work with without the right tools. I have quite a bit of 6AL4V, and in cutting through a bar approx 1"x2", once, completely wrecked a cobalt HSS hacksaw blade. Its abrasion resistant, and work hardens if it gets hot while cutting. The fumes from grinding are toxic, due to the vanadium, and the sparks are blindingly bright.

Personally, I would try to unload them on someone who wants them and knows what they want to do with them. Ebay is an option, although it seems that the market for titanium bits is slow.

I say this as someone who for the last 10 years has had over 35 blocks of titanium, about 9mm thick x 100 x 53 and have generally been unable to even give them away. The one time I thought I could sell some, last year, to a guy doing CNC milling of motor cycle parts for race bikes, he lost all interest when I said I was looking for 50% of the market value based on 2007 prices (its gone up since!). Wouldn't even counter offer. It is weird stuff to sell as a private person. Even with some paperwork to show what grade it is. New prices are high, but the stuff on ebay which is a lot cheaper, mostly off-cuts, moves at a crawl.

Best of luck

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE