Titan Smock Modifications

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Spunyarn

Tenderfoot
Nov 11, 2008
UK
Hi all,
I know there are a few threads about titan smocks, but I recently got one and thought I'd share.

I had been after a long type jacket/ cagoule for climbing and walking in the hills, despite having several expensive coats and jackets. I found the Titan website, and thought that their products looked good, and although they did offer waterproof smocks and stuff, I decided that they were too expensive from a make I had never previously heard of. I thought I would try the Titan ultra titanex smock, which are a bargain at 30 quid, as opposed to the Titan titanex smock, which are 23 quid. I can't compare the two, but I believe that the ultra, is slightly heavier than the cheaper one, possibly has a bigger pocket, and the pocket has a mobile pouch inside it.

Anyways, I saw on their website that they make a point of stating their products are in british sizes, not in skimpy Chinese sizes, and being 6 foot, and about medium build, around 85-90kg I ordered a large. The sizing for me is good, and the length in the sleeves is about right, although it may be quite snug over a quilted jacket or a few layers. It certainly has a very heavy feel to it, and is almost like wearing a denim coat.

When it first arrived I found putting it on and taking it off quite constricting due to the neck hole size, and the logo is truly awful. So I have put a zip in mine, at the neck, and also unpicked the embroidered logo (a painstaking process which took about an hour and a half). I also added a union jack patch for a bit of character.

20130810_184159.jpg

I do have plans to add a drawstring at the hem, and also to possibly line the handwarmer pocket with something comfortable and velcro or zip the openings. Also to maybe add some eyelits, or zips underneath the armpits for ventiliation.

All in all, I'm very please with the smock it was cheap, and I think it should do the job. I've read that they aren't easy to waterproof, but I have other jackets for that. As a decent windproof for 3 season mountaintops I am very happy.

Last edited:

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I love mine (agree about the logo). I find it perfect for autumn - wind proof and good in a light shower. Phone pocket fits an iPhone perfectly. Makes a change from wearing all green too

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Nice mod, i did the neck zip thing on a Silvermans sass smock, but on Titan i confess all i did was split it with my knife !

Rob

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE