Tips & tricks for drying apple rings

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Great video. I'd forgotten I have one of those peeler /corer gadgets somewhere must dig it out . Still have some apple crisps I made 2 yrs ago by drying them. Yummy snack.

Reactions: British Red
We use our wood fired stove to dry fruit & vegies.
Drying-Tomatoes-001-REDUCED.jpg
Dried-Apple-002-REDUCED.jpg
Drying-racks-on-stove-003-REDUCED.jpg

Keith.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Citric acid is the active ingredient in many "eco" cleaners, used in wine making, superb for derusting, excellent in Acid drops and Tangfastics. Its amazingly useful

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Mother used Lemon juice for dipping / immersing the fruit ( apple, pear) she dried. Then she made lemonade from the remains. We drank lemonade for several days after each drying session.

Citric Acid = Vitamin C

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Mother used Lemon juice for dipping / immersing the fruit ( apple, pear) she dried. Then she made lemonade from the remains. We drank lemonade for several days after each drying session.

Citric Acid = Vitamin C

Yup, lemon juice works fine, its just that citric acid powder is much cheaper!

SimonL

Oct 13, 2010
Farnborough, Hants
I wonder if I might politely inquire (please forgive my ignorance) about the process of "dehumidifying" ?
If I wanted to try this with some apple rings, would simply putting them on a tray at a low heat in an oven work ?
Thanks
Simon

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
That is what mother did. Leave door open about one centimetre for the released humidity to escape.

Whole small fruits, sliced apples, pears, funghi, bread squares for later butter frying for croutons, bread for crushing into bread crumbs, home made pasta.finely sliced garlic, finely cubed onion, leeks, plus various herbs.

The trick is to keep a low temperature.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I wonder if I might politely inquire (please forgive my ignorance) about the process of "dehumidifying" ?
If I wanted to try this with some apple rings, would simply putting them on a tray at a low heat in an oven work ?
Thanks
Simon
Yes. So will simply putting them on a single layer on a tray and placing them in a freezer for a couple of days. They’ll dry as the moisture is lost to sublimation without any cooking at all.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Thanks
Simon
Dehydrating needs a low heat. About 60C for fruit. Some ovens will go that low but if not, use the lowest setting with the door propped open. Threading the rings on a stick or piece of metal (coat hanger?) Helps them to dry evenly

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I can get 60C or so in my oven with 250F and the door cracked open an inch.
Chemical cure and seasonings, burger jerky takes an afternoon to make.
58C in the dehydrator, Roma tomato halves take overnight in the dehydrator.
I'll guess that 1/2" apple slices would be about like the tomatoes for time.
Usually at bedtime, I rotate the stack of drying trays.
I don't know if that really helps at all but I pretend it's important.

Pacific Northwest First Nations thread clams/mussels/oysters on cords to hang over very smoky fires.
Maybe 6' up, has to be 60C or less for a few days.
Living in huge wooden houses, there was always a useful fire for this.

There's some evidence still that our native crab apple (Malus pacifica) was dried to be rehydrated as a treat.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE