tips needed on how to use a fire steel???

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MSkiba

Settler
Aug 11, 2010
North West
Just play with it and find your own style.

as a tip, rest the end of the rod on something solid so when you strike it does not move. U-Tube uncle ray and how he uses it.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
You need firm pressure, it's not like striking a match. The one you have there is to my mind more of an emergency tool, if you use it regularly it will wear out fairly quickly, but it will start quite a few fires. The toothed edge of the striker you have with it isn't necessarily the best bit to strike with. I prefer other strikers than that one but it will work.

Get some cotton wool balls or pads. Keep them dry in some sort of container when you're out and about. To start a fire quickly, fluff one up a bit, lay it on a decent surface like a big bit of dry bark and cover it with other tinder and kindling but leave room for sparks to fall onto the cotton wool. Make a shelter for the fire first if it's raining and shield it from wind if it;'s windy. Strike sparks so that some fall onto the cotton wool and if it's dry it will go up in flames right away. Some people rub a little Vaseline or similar flammable grease into the cotton wool to prolong the flame which works very well but don't overdo it. Drops of oil will do the same thing. You can mess about with charcloth, tinder fungus and all sorts of things but I usually can't be bothered with all that and they can be a bit messy.

Beg, borrow or steal a decent ferrocerium rod sometime and compare it with your one.

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
The Big Lebowski made a little video that i think was superb. linky below. I would agree you need a better steel. You could even buy a blank and fit your own handle or paracord wrap. I would say you want a minimum of 8mm diameter and 8cm long. there is a guy selling two for a fiver on ebay. ive been using an 8cm one for ages and ive barely made a dent in it.

Edit: cant find the 2 for a fiver on fleabay now. seem to be a fiver each (ish)

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=85791&page=2&highlight=how+do+you+start

Last edited:

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Best tip I can give is hold the striker still and pull the rod back, rather than push the striker over the rod. This means you can't "over egg it" and knock your tinder bundle flying.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE