tipi out of tarps?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
There's no nice way of making a cone from a rectangle. If you're not worried about nice, you can just make the frame and them tie tarps over it until you've enclosed it - although be warned, the area required is larger than you might think. If you go down that route though, you probably won't be able have proper smoke flaps, which kinda prevents you from having a good fire, which is the main attraction of a tipi in my book. I've seen it done, but it's smokey... Or you could go for an enclosed fire, but then you've got to figure out how to get the flue out without melting your tarps.

Or you can sew tarps together until you've got a big enough area to cut a semi-circle of the appropriate size from, and then proceed as normal.

shawn

Tenderfoot
Nov 6, 2008
usa
gabushcraft.blogspot.com
thats an interesting design using the poles on the outside, and fewer of them. does this work well in high wind? the wind is my main proiblem getting this to work. ive got several 15x20 tarps and 12 good poles, and smaller tarps too if needed. ive put it up several different ways, thinking each time i make it stronger and better, but when the wind picks up it rips everything apart and im left with a tangled mess. its somewhat frusttrating.. how do you deal with bushcrafting in high wind?

D

DavidW

It might be helpful if you stated something about the size of tipi you want to construct. Also you seem to have several poly tarps with some of them fairly large. Large enough to be sewn or glued to one another to make the usual half-circle shaped covering of a traditional tipi . Why don’t you just do that? Or are you trying to cover the poles with the tarps left in their rectangular or square shape?

Poly tarps are easily cut and glued together. Do a search on youtube for the term “ hasty hooch” it will turn up about an 8 part series of videos in which Tinny of minibulldesign cuts and glues poly tarps to make a uniquely shaped tarp meant for light weight backpacking. The point is not for you to follow his design but rather to use the gluing and reinforcement techniques that he uses in the videos to make your tarps into a shape that will work as a tipi cover.

An alternative tipi like shelter you could build with the poly tarps is something along the lines of the Scandinavian laavu shelter. But build the kohta or kohten variety as used in Germany , Austria and other near by countries. Their version of the boy scouts , the pathfinders build these things in what I think is a rather remarkable design.

Basically you have a section of tarp which is close to being triangular in shape. Each scout or pathfinder carries one section. The sections are made such that 4 of them can be combined to make a cone shaped shelter which is rather octagon shaped at the base rather than being a smooth curved base shape. Alternatively each pathfinder or pair of them can use one of the triangular shaped tarps in a stand alone mode . In what they call a half-boat configuration. It’s a tarp shelter which is erected in what we would call a diamond configuration or something close to it.

Go to google and do a search on the terms “ kohte ohne “ or “ kohta” or “ kohten “ and it should turn up lots of pictures. However , most will be in german language but many pictures will give you the idea of the shape you would need to make with your tarps. The pathfinders tarp sections are made with a rather ingenious method of lacing the sections together so that 4 tarps can be connected to one another to make the kotha. However, you don’t need that feature. You only need to cut out 4 triangular sections, sew or glue 3 of the tarp sections together and figure out what to do with the last 2 edges to be joinged to make a door way in and out.

Here are a few links to give you an idea of what these things look like. ( I want to mention here too that the German Pathfinder groups have a long tradition of building these things out of black fabric. Schwartzzelt , which is literally black-tent - they also combine the triangular sections with square or rectangular shaped tarp sections to built shelter which are very much shaped like Mongolian Yurts , at their national events they built quit elaborate cities out of these things. Never seen them in person , only pictures on the internet . The triangular shaped sections instead of being the walls of a tipi like shelter become the roof of the yurt like shelters. And the walls are made of square or rectangular shaped tarp sections )

Try these links :

http://www.scholl-zelte.de/kohte/kohtez.htm

On this next page you can see the name given to the somewhat triangular shaped tarp sections you would need to make - the kohta-tarp TST piece. You can also see drawings of how this same shape is used in the half-boat , boat , and full-boat configurations.

http://www.scandia-tents.com/english_techdata.htm

http://www.zeltstadt.at/service/aufstellanleitungen/zeltstadt-at_aufbau_kohten.pdf

http://www.jurtenland.de/de/taxonomy/term/13

This last link above is the first of several pages so if this idea interest you , you may want to look at the several of the pages at the above website. And of course do a google search on the terms mentioned above or new similar terms you may find. There are more link than I cared to put into this reply.

So – maybe this is an alternative way to make a tipi like shelter you would want to try or maybe not. So FWIW.

D

andywinkk

Nov 12, 2007
wigan
www.garmentsdirectltd.co.uk
I borrrowed one and took a pattern of it, this is the end result made in our factory by proper machinist not me lol

004-6.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE