Tipi or bell tent?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shepard

Tenderfoot
Jul 31, 2006
Norway
Fast translation, while gf is watching Doc Marting at telly...

Any of the Lavvo tests you want translated?

Sorry for the bad grammar/spelling, but better than the translation engine.

Test: Lavvo is the traditional tent, developed through hundreds year amid the Sami at Nordkalotten and Indians in North - The United States.
We have tested lavvo. Typed by : John -Arne Tungen 01.August 2007
Test of lavvo : In a tent you sleep over, but you are able to inhabit a lavvo. Standing height and possibility to make up fire or using an oven which makes a lavvo much more inhabitable than a tent.
Heat from a fireplace/oven do that you are able to cook and dry clothes, but if you are going to use fire/oven demands a thought out campsite. In addition flat and dry ground to the bedding, access to water and fuel, the campsite has to be found/chosen so that the lavvo becomes standing in comparative open ground. Steep ground, recesses in the ground and high trees stops wind draft, so that you are getting smoked down inside instead of winddraft to be able to draw out smoke from the lavvo.
A traditonal lavvo are able to have around 15 poles or more, according to size.
In this the test have we grabbed for us onerod lavvo along with light fabric. The greatest difference between a traditonal lavvo and a onerod lavvo , will obviously be feel weight, stability and ability at to tackle snowfall.

thingswelike

Forager
Jun 15, 2007
Peak District
That's fantastic Shepard! Thanks a lot. Interesting about trees spoiling the updraught.

I guess it would be interesting to find out why the Bison scored so lowly. Here's the Norwegian...
Bison Tinde 8
Stor, solid og enkel lavvo. Litt tung og høy. Finnes også som 3-, 4- og 16-mannsutgave. Stor døråpning, solide plugger. Bardunene siger noe, savner høye bardunfester (kommer på 2006-utgaven). Grei pakkepose. Lite fuktgjennomslag, men yttersiden av duken tørker noe seint. "Vindu" ved døråpningen. Godt med tilleggsutstyr tilgjengelig, bl.a. bunn, nettingtopphatt og ulike typer ovner. Mye for pengene.

and also what they liked about the Varrie...
Varrie Light 5
Solid og meget bra lavvo. Mange finesser. Finnes også som 7- og 9-mannsutgave. Godt med barduner, innvendig justering av topphatt, stabil, enkel montering. Stor døråpning med myggnett. Tre lange lufteskår med glidelås. Luftespaltene sitter noe lavt, og blir vanskelige å betjene ved dårlig oppsetting/ujevn bakke. Glidelåsen på disse kan fryse ved fyring og matlaging om vinteren, men vil gi fabelaktig lufting i varmere vær. Veldig bra utvalg av mulig tilbehør, bl.a. bunnduk, innertelt, ovner osv.

Thanks for taking the time to do this :You_Rock_

Shepard

Tenderfoot
Jul 31, 2006
Norway
Cheers m8!

Bison Tinde 8 Large, solid and simple lavvo. A bit heavy and high/tall. Is also available as 3-, 4- and 16 mans edtion. Large dooropening , solid plugs.
Guy lines slack a bit, missing high guy lines ( comes p 2006- the edition ). Good pack bag. A little condensation, but the outside fabrics dries a bit slow. " window " besides door opening. Lots of availible accesories, groundsheet, meshtophat and different types of ovens. Good deal for your money.

Varrie Light 5
Solid and a very good lavvo. A good many finer/finesse points. Is available also as 7- and 9 manedition. Many guylines , internally adjustment of tophat , stable , simple to put up. Large opening with mosqitonet. Three long ventilation slits with zippers. Ventilation slits are placed a bit low, and makes it difficult to operate if the Lavvo is badly put up/uneven ground. Zippers on these can freeze by using fire, cooking during winter, but will give fabulous venting during hot weather. Lots of accessories , for example ground sheet, innertent , ovens etc.
(Heard a tip that one could use silicone grease on zippers in cold weather to prevent freezing from https://jerven-com.secure.flexiweb.no/page/7356/ )

thingswelike

Forager
Jun 15, 2007
Peak District
Thanks again Shepard. Really great of you to do that.
Silicone grease is cheap enough to give a go - it should also make them smooth the rest of the time too. I'd probably wait until I had a problem though - just in case the grease gets on the cotton fabric

SOAR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
My vote goes with the tipi, I've never owned a bell tent, although they look roomy I think that I prefer tipis for their style.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE