Tipi and not Teepee

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
If any of you shaman out there would be so kind as to offer up a little chant for dry spells (sic) tomorrow, i'd be very grateful. Taking a day off work to get the remainder sorted and pitched.

Will of course post piccies, regardless of weather....

Only problem is, I've got a new bow to play with :rolleyes:

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Well, the weather is beautiful here today, the sun is shining and the ground is a bit wet from recent rain but is fast drying up. It is quite warm and is a pleasant change from the last few days, hopefully a last coupl of mushrooms will push up for the weekend, they may be the last ones this year.

I hope you get some of this weather Stovie, it would be nice to spend the day outside in nice weather fixing the tipi up. I can't wait for pictures of the finished product!!

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
The weather was kind to me, though the wind added a little interest....

First off had to get into the North American spirit with a few shots on the new bow...

DSCF4682copy.jpg

Canvas in place and awaiting wellsy's return to add the smoke flaps

DSCF4687copy.jpg

View from the West

DSCF4689copy.jpg

The interior with smoke rising and bow with quiver

DSCF4697copy.jpg

Wellsy cooks lunch

DSCF4699copy.jpg

DSCF4703copy.jpg

The proud owners of a des-res. Note the working smoke flaps...

DSCF4707copy.jpg

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
chrisanson said:
good one m8!!! looks a good bow aswell. is it yew?
chris

No, it's a piece of "white" wood from a bush I pruned in the garden. Blowed if I know what it is though :rolleyes: It's about 50" long, draws 35# @ 26". Quite a snappy little shooter. It would give small game a run for its money ;)

Made a door for the tipi by stiching canvas around two hazel withies

DSCF4710copy.jpg

And gave it a coat of ochre paint for a bit of contrast (didn't have time to put a design on it). Picture below shows wellsy hunting lunch ;)

DSCF4730copy.jpg

And that's as much time as I have until next weekend when the scouts move in...

DSCF4733copy.jpg

Thanks for putting up with what has turned out to be a rather rambling post, and I hope it hasn't bored too many.....

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
Very nice - and not rambling a bit. Great photos.

We used a ridgepole lodge for a number of years (kind of like two halves of a tipi with an eight or 12 foot ridgepole between them). Ours was covered with canvas - traditionally, they were covered with birchbark. I always enjoyed the ridgepole lodge, but I always had to dig two draft tunnels to my firepit - to get the fire to draw right. Otherwise it was like living in a chimney.

A friend has a traditional waganogan (a conical tipi type of wigiwam - similar to those in the Kane painting) employing cat-tail mats for the first four feet and birchbark further up on top. It is also insulated with moss and is warm in winter. He uses it for his hunting shack. It is a huge structure and will sleep ten.

PG

chrisanson

Nomad
Apr 12, 2006
Dudley
wanderinstar said:
Pierre,
Would love to see some photos of waganogan if possible.
Ian.

as would i and some more photos of Stovie's bow :) i just wish i hade the space to build thing like this. :(
chris

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
wanderinstar said:
Pierre,
Would love to see some photos of waganogan if possible.
Ian.

I think I have some photos somewhere. We slept there for a few days last autumn. It was surprisingly warm for such a structure. I'll see if I can dig up the photos, but with the holidays approaching - it won't be right away.

I could run up there too, but I'm not sure just when I'd be able to.

PG

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE