tinders

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

steveo

Forager
May 10, 2005
Earth
Come on then whats everyones favorite tinder(s)

For me its got to be scraped up birchbark it gets the fire going everytime ! (with firesteel)

closely followed by charcloth (with flint and an old broken file)

sxmolloy

Mar 22, 2006
lancashire, north west england
Birchbark (with firesteel) for ease as there is loads where I live. I do get great satisfaction from lighting shavings though, althought it does take awhile longer and is nowhere near as easy.

Feygan

Forager
Oct 14, 2006
Northern Ireland
Montivagus said:
Cotton wool :D

Always a good one but can be made beter, try (when at home) getting a pot of cheap vasaline also. (this works best with rolls of cotton wool) Geta sheet of wool then place about a tea spoon of vasaline in the middle fold it over a few times and squeeze until you can feel the vasline start to come through. (depending on the size of the sheet it may need more than one spoonful)
Turns out to be the best of both worlds as it lights with a spark like cotton wool, yet burns for a long time like oil or rubber.
Only problem is if you use it for long you easily get lazy on the other skills :lmao:

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
I think it would have to be a mixture of birch bark and lichen. Rubbed together and light with a fire steel. Always makes me feel great to see the fire start this way. :)

Simon E

Nomad
Aug 18, 2006
3rd Planet from the sun
Jeff Wagner said:
Would there be any interest in seeing fire made using either fire piston or traditional flint and steel.... and only rotten wood punk. No fiber bird's nest, etc. If conditions are right, you dont even have to blow on it.

You bet ya! If you are limited with bandwidth Jeff I will host it for you, any size file is OK.

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
Errrr blue flame lighter :eek:

I have used a fire stick before with bracket fungus (is that right?) and natural dry things around me but it is very hit and miss.

I need to get to a meet next year. I learn so much out of a book but i learn so much more by watching it being done.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE