Tinder pouch tutorial

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Hi all. I put up a post recently about ember pans and was asked by Purple Heath,if I had a leather bag to keep my tools in for fire by friction, I did'nt,but it got me thinking,so I purchased a chamois leather from Wilkinson’s and decided to have a go at making one.
Well I was quite chuffed with the outcome of the bag,that I thought I would also try my hand at a tinder pouch.

So here’s a wee tutorial for a cheap leather tinder pouch.

Chamois cut and folded ready for marking out stitch line.

Once the stitch line has been marked I used a bone awl to punch the holes, then I stitched the pouch.

Once the piece is trimmed it is then turned the right way round.

Next the holes are marked and cut for the fastening.

Here a leather washer is placed to stop the toggle knot from breaking through the chamois.

Tinder pouch filled with Birch bark,Char cloth,Cramp ball and Fomes fomentarius

Here is the tinder pouch on the left with Antler toggle, on the right is the bag that I mentioned earlier for my fire lighting tools.

Packed and ready to go…

Reactions: beachlover
That looks great mate, the only two problems I can forsee with it are that chammois leather soaks up water like a sponge and isn't very durable where it's rubbed by sharp hard things. I tend to use suede for pouches as it's a bit more durable, bit you can waterproof it. I found a good source for it is charity shops. Go and have a look for old waistecoats and jackets, that sort of thing. By the way, I'd love a better look at your dual knife sheath as well, looks like a superb idea :approve:

moduser

Life Member
May 9, 2005
Farnborough, Hampshire
Stuart,

Nice one. Despite what was said I like the idea of using chamois leather for a tinder bag for the very reason that it will absorb moisture. As long as it's protected from external moisture it will help ensure that any moisture in the tinder drys out. Least that's my theory :confused:

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
Hi Stuart,

Thanks for getting the photos back up ;)

Tutorial is great has answered some of my questions that i had asked elsewhere!

P.S How big a chamois was it to start with?

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Thanks all for your replys.

Motorbike Man said:
By the way, I'd love a better look at your dual knife sheath as well, looks like a superb idea :approve:

Hi Motorbike Man, i will take some pictures of the knife and post them up soon so you can see what i've done.

Hi Andyn, the chamois i bought said on the packaging that it was whole side,but anyway i've just measured the remaining piece i have left,so it was 50cm wide by roughly 3ft long. I still have enough to make another pouch or something such like.

Hope this helps.

running bare

Banned
Sep 28, 2005
jarrow,tyne & wear uk
hi stu
your tutorial inspired me to pop towilkies got me a chamois and knocked one up didnt hav ne antler so i used a bear tooth instead.( long boring story like to hav sed it came from one i caught earlier but it actually came from a discarded rug)

as for the question of damp i put a zip lok food bag inside so that should solve that prob.

cheers for the ideas

any more just keep them coming im sure more than just me appreciates it. :You_Rock_ im rambling again :tapedshut

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Kiamyr said:
Where can I find a decent piece of leather to start with?

Chamois leather is sold in garages and car spares places for washing windscreens. It's usually not that expensive and you won't have to wait weeks for it to arrive either :)

Cheers,
Toddy

Kiamyr

Tenderfoot
Sep 25, 2005
Western Europe
Cool, thanks for that. I see someone mentioned that Chamois leather might be a little bit vulnerable to the wet weather? And what about the equipment to make a simple :))) pouch? What's involved?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE