Tinder lists

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 13, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Abbe Osram said:
Hi
I collect the fibres caught in the tumble dryer filter then I collect the stumps of candles, which I melt and fill in the discharged egg-packets, mixing them I get 12 small tinder bombs :wink:

cheers
Abbe

Hi, Abbe,

Just wondered what proportions you use with these tinder bombs – and at what stage do you use them? I would think the wax would make them more useful as a type of kindling, but dryer lint is so great as tinder, I suppose it wouldn't matter.

Any pictures?

PS: this was my first post, and I'd like to say this is a great place for sharing thoughtful, meaningful information and opinions. I'm glad to be here.

simonsays

Forager
Sep 9, 2004
sunderland
Green said:
Hi, Abbe,

Just wondered what proportions you use with these tinder bombs – and at what stage do you use them? I would think the wax would make them more useful as a type of kindling, but dryer lint is so great as tinder, I suppose it wouldn't matter.

Any pictures?

PS: this was my first post, and I'd like to say this is a great place for sharing thoughtful, meaningful information and opinions. I'm glad to be here.

Welcome! I'm still a bit of a 'new boy' here myself but it seems like a really nice place. Pull up a log and we'll make a bit of room for you round the fire.

simon

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
hi guys,
you are right, I miss read the thread title. Its not a tinder but a starter help after you got your tinder rolling.

Stuart put it in good words here it comes:

Kindling is any material which will easily catch alight from a small flame, such as dry matchstick thick twigs. Bundles of kindling are added to the flame produced by your tinder until the fire is hot enough to deal with less easily combustible materials.

thats what my stuff is all about.

The proportions are exact the size of on egg place holder in that box, you melt the rests of your candles. ( I am not throwing them away)
Take the fibres you collect from the tumble dryer and will each of the little holes where the eggs are supposed to be, then you fill in some of the melted candle. Then I break of one egg holder and got my little kindling.
Pictures I don't have yet but will make some when I am fixing them again and put them on my webside under the craft section.

cheers
Abbe

pe1pme

Dec 17, 2004
Utrecht, the Netherlands
For the occasions that i'm tired after a long walk and i don't want to use the bushcraftkind of tinder, I could use a lighter but that is no fun at all. I always carry two small bottles with me. One contains powdered potassiumpermanganate (KMnO4) and the other contains glycerine. If you mix together a small spoon of the KMnO4 with a few drops of glycerine you will get, after some time( between a few seconds and half a minute or so depending on the weather) a very hot flame for some seconds, depending on how much you use.
This flame sets fire to your kindling very fast! :chill:

Wim

Adi

Nomad
Dec 29, 2004
I have always carried Potassium permanganate in my FAK as a very last resort back up for a number of things. I Have used it to light fires using antifreeze as it contains glycerine and have even used fertilizer on one occasion but dose anyone know of any other easily available products that contain glycerine or pure glycerine in the UK.

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
pe1pme said:
For the occasions that i'm tired after a long walk and i don't want to use the bushcraftkind of tinder, I could use a lighter but that is no fun at all. I always carry two small bottles with me. One contains powdered potassiumpermanganate (KMnO4) and the other contains glycerine. If you mix together a small spoon of the KMnO4 with a few drops of glycerine you will get, after some time( between a few seconds and half a minute or so depending on the weather) a very hot flame for some seconds, depending on how much you use.
This flame sets fire to your kindling very fast! :chill:

Wim

Where do you buy that stuff, I am looking for a survival extreme firestarter.
We have a problem here that a lot of people die going through the ice while driving a scooter. I even know a survival instructor 10 years ago who died, the guy fell in the water, he managed to swim on land and died there, he had no power more to get a fire going. Last night a 26 year old guy in my area froze to death in the fjälls he fell in the water, got out while it got minus 25 celsius he died sitting in his snowshelter he made for himself, he could not find back to his cabin. Today they told us that he died 200 meters from the cabin. One gets stiff real fast in minus 25 being wet and shocked. I want to fix myself a survival pack with secondary protected cloth and a ready fire starter which burns for a while until I find some wood.
Where do you get the explosives LOL :wink:

cheers
Abbe

Pict

Settler
Jan 2, 2005
Central Brazil
clearblogs.com
I use a variety of tinders in varying conditions.

Commercially Prepared Tinder

Trioxene Bars – These have the added advantage of being a cooking fuel in their own right. I use these for low impact camping.

Wetfire Tinder – I keep these in my PSK and scattered through various kits.

Sparklite tinder – same as above

Votive Candles – I use these to heat and dry tinder during rainy season. The hardest fire I ever had to light was during monsoon type rains here. I had a group of six first time students who managed to get themselves and their bedding soaked through because they didn’t listen to me on the first night. It took an entire candle and a half hour to get the fire to light. It took a half hour for them to dry their bedding around a 1-meter flame.

Stuff I make myself

Cotton wool treated with Vaseline (petroleum jelly) – This is the number one tinder to get in the habit of using. Treated cotton is a very suitable, low-cost, easily assembled tinder.

Jute Twine treated with Vaseline – The Jute twine will light with a spark even if untreated but I find it burns longer and lights quicker if treated with Vaseline. I use treated Jute twine with my BSA Hotspark. I braded a section of twine and attached the steel and scraper. This gets rolled up and stuffed into the handle of my daughters Cold Steel Mini-Bushman.

Recycled paper egg carton bottoms filled with sawdust and paraffin wax – These will burn for a few minutes and cost next to nothing to prepare. I carry these in rainy season here in Brazil for when everything has been soaked from weeks of steady rain. I’m thinking they’d work well in the UK! If you really want to get fancy then cut down some strike-anywhere matches and embed 4 of them heads up in the center. The wax will hold them in place and seal them from moisture. To light you scrape away the wax and strike them against a rock, hold sideways and they light right up.

Charcloth – I take sections of cotton cloth, denim, sacking, whatever, lay it flat and wrap it with several layers of aluminum foil, crimped and pressed to seal out the air. I then poke a small hole in the foil and toss it on the coals of my grill after the meal but before the coals are out. When the smoke stops jetting out of the hole I remove it and let it cool.
I sealed a section of charcloth in plastic and taped it inside the case of my binoculars. It lights very well using an unscrewed lens. This was done more for instruction purposes than survival.

Techniques

Cotton Lint – I have everyone in the group turn out their pockets and collect all the lint they didn’t know was there. I usually scrape a pair of jeans with a knife and collect some more. This gets hit with a firesteel.

Tinder Collection - I give everyone a ziplock bag and teach them to collect anything that looks like it would burn easily. Plant wool especially but also tiny tinder, very dry grasses, and toothpick-sized twigs. The idea is to have a “birds nest” already collected along the way rather than having to search for it when they need a fire. There is also a wood that is commonly found growing here in the mid-elevation scrub forests. I’m sorry but I can’t even give the local name for it let alone the Latin. It has a very distinct, sweet, rotten cheese smell that is unmistakable. The stuff burns with atomic fury and pounding a small stick into splinters results in fantastic kindling. To imprint the smell on them I have them walk along periodically sniffing a broken chunk of it. The smell is not pleasant, so this is a forced exercise. The next time I run into woodcutters out there I’ll have to actually write down the name!

Teaching Methodology – In the basic kit for the students I include a small firesteel and a mini-bic or waterproofed matches. I have them use natural tinder and the steel first to gain an appreciation for modern means and tinder. I’ve toyed with the idea of having them attempt a friction fire first but #1 I’m not that good at it myself and #2 it would eat up too much time. Once they can manage the steel and natural tinder I introduce them to treated cotton and the steel. The lights come on about preparation! I then show them the waxed sawdust fire starters and allow them to use the Bic. I find making them work for a fire impresses upon them the value of forethought.

Mac

PS I've found hypothermia to be highly subjective to the physical makeup of the victim. In Alaska this past year my brother-in-law, Alaska native took the cold in stride while I (PA born and bred) froze. Here (Brazil) I have only ever been shivering cold once. My Brazilian students are another thing entirely, get 'em wet in a tropical rain and you'd think you'd soaked them in meltwater! Mac

leon-1

A couple of people mention bits from first aid kits, I always carry sterets in my kit (Alcohol swabs for injections), they are soaked in isopropyl alcohol, at a push these would work pretty well.

Shredded wax paper is another one that can be used.

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
Adi Fiddler said:
I have always carried Potassium permanganate in my FAK as a very last resort back up for a number of things. I Have used it to light fires using antifreeze as it contains glycerine and have even used fertilizer on one occasion but dose anyone know of any other easily available products that contain glycerine or pure glycerine in the UK.

You can buy bottles of glycerine in one of two places - either the home baking section of bigger supermarkets, or in chemists such as boots. Glycerine is used in a lot of recipes, cough syrups, and also in some soaps, so you might be able to find a glycerine soap that has enough glycerine in it to start fires as well as keeping you clean :)

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Andy said:
Lint from my tummy button

alco hand cream

bike inner tube is common

fat from the pan I've cooked stuff in (in my case sosmix)

Lint from your tummy button ????? :shock: are you sure ??

Char cloth carried in one of these This isn't the actual one I've got but virtually the same with a sea shell engraving http://www.trackofthewolf.com/categ...d=17&subId=105&styleId=396&partNum=BOX-1790-B or one of Gary's ultimate tinder pouches. Picked up the Tinder box (brass) at a car booter last year for £4 and it goes great in a leather pouch with my flint and steel (hoping to make my own leather pouch soon) I love char cloth because it dosn't blow out in the wind, in fact it gets stronger. Wetfire tinder for really bad weather days. Excellent stuff :super:

hawsome34

Tenderfoot
Sep 3, 2004
Merseyside
Aside of what most have said, and you may think this is cheating a little, but always gets a good hot flame, with very little effort from a fire steel.

Cotton wool soaked in vaseline.
It resists soaking in water or damp
Can be fluffed up for kindling that catches a flame easily
Or left quite compact to concentrate the heat on a smaller bundle of kindling.

It also packs very small, my preference is to use a tampon fluffed up, and then saok in vaseline, I usually get around 8 good pieces. I then wrap them in clingfilm, so I can cut them off a strip one at a time.

But as many have said, without this birch bark, with shavings, and the fluff you get whilst getting the shaving is very good. My son tried his first fire using the birch bark and firesteel, with instant success. He's 9, and never even used a steel before.

Just keep trying whatever you can, that way u remember more methods.

Good luck

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
hawsome34 said:
Aside of what most have said, and you may think this is cheating a little, but always gets a good hot flame, with very little effort from a fire steel.

Cotton wool soaked in vaseline.
It resists soaking in water or damp
Can be fluffed up for kindling that catches a flame easily
Or left quite compact to concentrate the heat on a smaller bundle of kindling.

It also packs very small, my preference is to use a tampon fluffed up, and then saok in vaseline, I usually get around 8 good pieces. I then wrap them in clingfilm, so I can cut them off a strip one at a time.

But as many have said, without this birch bark, with shavings, and the fluff you get whilst getting the shaving is very good. My son tried his first fire using the birch bark and firesteel, with instant success. He's 9, and never even used a steel before.

Just keep trying whatever you can, that way u remember more methods.

Good luck

Hi mate
what is clingfilm??
cheers
Abbe

hawsome34

Tenderfoot
Sep 3, 2004
Merseyside
Abbe Osram said:
Hi mate
what is clingfilm??
cheers
Abbe

Not sure what it is called elsewhere Abbe. Maybe foodwrap, Glad Wrap, Saran Wrap.

Its a thin clear sheet, used for mainly wrapping food to keep it fresh. It seals through magic, or static not sure which. :)

monkey_pork

Forager
May 19, 2005
Devonshire
Hmm, I wondered about mentioning this, but what using some newspaper which has been soaked and dried in potassium nitrate (KNO3, k/a "saltpetre"), assuming you can still get it easily of course ...

I recall from my err, yonger days, :bandit: that it smouldered well, and didn't seem too bothered by a bit of wind, not sure how it would translate into a useful flame tho as I never used it for that, but we'll move on from that now ...

The potassium permanganate / glycerol idea is a good one, you can get a reliable bit of heat off that, plus the potassium permanganate is generally quite useful (if you don't mind the funny brown stains it leaves behind on things). Could be a bit complex (ok, messy) to carry tho'.

I find that cotton pads work well, if you fluff them up first.
I've recently started to carry sisal cord, which is really good.

Out and about lately, thissle heads and bracken have been reliable.

We did try some dog hair (from just brushing the dog, nothing untoward), which caught a treat, but it stinks, so it's not going to be a standard item, even tho' there is a big walking tider store alongside most of the time (albeit often a wet one).

monkey_pork said:
Hmm, I wondered about mentioning this, but what using some newspaper which has been soaked and dried in potassium nitrate (KNO3, k/a "saltpetre"), assuming you can still get it easily of course ...

I shoot a percussion lock Sharps rifle that is loaded through the breach with nitrated paper cartridges. The end of the cartridge is sheared away upon closing the breach block to expose the powder.

The nitrated paper used to form the cartidges will light in a fire piston and I have no doubt it will also catch a spark.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I had a bit of luke the other day with some kitchen role that had been soaked in either danish oil or linseed oil. I had left them to dry laid out flat so they dont spontainiously combust. They took a spark very well indeed. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE