Tinder Fungus distraction

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Nice :)

See if you scoop out a hollow in the spore bit of one of those, and put an ember into it. Gently blow on it until the whole scooped out bit is glowing.....teaspoon sized scoop out will work, but pudding spoon or soup spoon is better.....then you can literally carry fire. It will glow with very little breath or breeze and a good sized one will burn for hours.

Easy to take a light from to start a flame at need too.

Until the shell gets too thin, it's a comfortable thing to hold as well.

M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Indeed..but I was just wanting to use a few small slices today :)

I find it blooming hard work cutting them apart now. If I can't find a fresh one, I really just don't bother :sigh:

Good stuff though. Himself brought me in a huge one that was 15" across. We used it at a demo, and it burned for 7 hours. One of the ladies who was working beside us asked if she could take it home with her :)
I was ever so relieved, I really didn't fancy trying to put it out enough to drive the hour and a half home :)

Your photos are clear :cool: I wonder if the thread could be expanded a bit though. Tell folks what it is, where it grows, what it's used for, kind of thing.

M

Reactions: Greg

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I find it blooming hard work cutting them apart now. If I can't find a fresh one, I really just don't bother :sigh:

Good stuff though. Himself brought me in a huge one that was 15" across. We used it at a demo, and it burned for 7 hours. One of the ladies who was working beside us asked if she could take it home with her :)
I was ever so relieved, I really didn't fancy trying to put it out enough to drive the hour and a half home :)

Your photos are clear :cool: I wonder if the thread could be expanded a bit though. Tell folks what it is, where it grows, what it's used for, kind of thing.

M
Feel free...

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
@Greg

I have the fungus, and can get more, but me working on it's just not happening just now.
Not crying for sympathy, just my joints are really inflammed and any pressure, like cutting up one of these, is just not happening. It'll settle. Hopefully. Sooner the better :sigh:

The forum that most folks read is very 'surface', if I make myself clear ?
Those of us who have been around a while know that the depths are rich, really, really rich, in masses of information, in little bite size bits of, "Oh ! :) ", but we gloss over them and all too often we don't add any extra to our newer posts because we know it.

I saw your thread and thought, "Yes :)", a good clear 'look what you can do with this' sort of thing, and you do know your stuff, and it'd be good to see more.

I might pester Son2 to scoop out one of the fomes for me and I'll set it to glowing. Take some shots. I'm pretty sure I have an eaten out by maggots shell of one too to show. Maybe.....not sure if I composted that last Autumn or not.

It's a fun one to play around with. Useful, easily found (well, round here where it's sodden wet it is) and I doubt anyone's going to object to the liberation of some of these tree destroyers. :dunno:

Was it a good weekend with the South Wales group ?

M

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
@Greg

I have the fungus, and can get more, but me working on it's just not happening just now.
Not crying for sympathy, just my joints are really inflammed and any pressure, like cutting up one of these, is just not happening. It'll settle. Hopefully. Sooner the better :sigh:

The forum that most folks read is very 'surface', if I make myself clear ?
Those of us who have been around a while know that the depths are rich, really, really rich, in masses of information, in little bite size bits of, "Oh ! :) ", but we gloss over them and all too often we don't add any extra to our newer posts because we know it.

I saw your thread and thought, "Yes :)", a good clear 'look what you can do with this' sort of thing, and you do know your stuff, and it'd be good to see more.

I might pester Son2 to scoop out one of the fomes for me and I'll set it to glowing. Take some shots. I'm pretty sure I have an eaten out by maggots shell of one too to show. Maybe.....not sure if I composted that last Autumn or not.

It's a fun one to play around with. Useful, easily found (well, round here where it's sodden wet it is) and I doubt anyone's going to object to the liberation of some of these tree destroyers. :dunno:

Was it a good weekend with the South Wales group ?

M
Unfortunately I only have two that I found in Scotland last August....I'll add more to the thread after the weekend...running a camp in my woods down here in Pembrokeshire.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE