Tinder curls (May hurt 56K'ers)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Simon E

Nomad
Aug 18, 2006
3rd Planet from the sun
I recently bought myself a Fallkniven A1 and after using it to do some extensive limbing on some pruned trees I fell in love with it. Dispite being sharp, its not exactly cut out for carving or other fine work. This led to some concern about making fine shavings from the heartwood of split logs in the event that I find myself in this situation.

While I was playing out :eek: today I thought it would be easy to make acceptable tinder if the wood was scored first.

Here are the components for the experiment.

Fallkniven A1
Fire Steel
Split of Cherrywood

Start02.jpg

Here you can see the scores made with the point of the knife.

Scored-heart-wood02.jpg

The pile of shavings with the Fire steel for size reference. This was taken from the rather hard heart wood.

Hardwood-pile.jpg

Softwood is a doddle, here is a typical shaved roll.

softwood-roll.jpg

Reverse twist the roll and you get something like this.

Softwood-curls.jpg

A small pile of softwood shavings which will burn for about 30 seconds.

softwood-pile.jpg

So, if you are out and about and only want to take a single 'do-all' blade, the A1 might be a nice choice.

Reactions: BOD and Toddy

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Simon,
Thanks for the heads up, not about the knife (though it is a nice example) but of the pre-scoring idea to make the multi-roll shavings, I'd never had thought of trying that method. :You_Rock_

ATB

Ogri the trog

SiriusB

Sep 19, 2006
Manchester, UK
Oooh very nice, looks like a good sized knife too. Might get me one once I know how to sharpen properly. My new Frosts Mora arrived today so I shall be abusing it as soon as I lay my grubby mits on some wet and dry.

SiriusB

Simon E

Nomad
Aug 18, 2006
3rd Planet from the sun
SiriusB,

Its so easy to sharpen a Fallkniven (Or any other convex for that matter) it almost feels like cheating. Fallknivens from the factory have a tiny secondary bevel. I usually just sharpen that into the convex and havent seen any performance loss and its much easier to keep shaving sharp in the field.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE