"Tindablade" paddlers pouch/set

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I don't make a lot of stuff these days but my "Tindablades" ( tinder scrapers from high carbon tool steel) and associated leatherwork have led to a few odd jobs lately and I just thought I'd pop this up to let you have a look (I'm not a "maker" by the definition of the term on this site nor do I sell via this forum)

For those who haven't seen my paddlers pouches before, the sides are left short of the bottom of the pouch to allow water to drain very quickly in the event of a capsize, "dunk" or other "immersion event". The tinder-usually but not always petroleum jelly impregnated cotton wool-is kept in the tin which is held securely in the tight fitting pouch.

These days you need to use a ziplock bag inside your tin as the reproduction 2oz baccy tins are no where near as secure or air/watertight as the originals and it's pretty difficult to find un-battered tins for a reasonable price( I've seen "mint" golden virginia tins sold for £20 on ebay!)

The leather is 3.5 mm bridle leather, very nice to work with but pre-coloured and not so good for tooling or carving etc.

It's difficult to see in the photo's but the tindablade fits into a tight sleeve on the left side of the pouch and the lid closes over the top for total security.

The firesteel is an 8mm dia version and as such is a loose fit in the side sleeve, which is sized to take any firesteel up to 10mm. The steel is still secure however as the paracord lanyard is slipped over the sleeve and the tip of the steel then the toggle is tightened up as below, making it almost impossible to slip out.

Everything is double saddle stitched, entirely by hand. No dremels, drilling or presses etc, nothing but a diamond awl, lined up and pushed through by hand.

The tindablade and firesteel are handled with seasoned ash, then coated with danish oil.

Cheers

Steve

Baelfore

Life Member
Jan 22, 2013
Ireland
that's pretty nifty. I've been fiddling on putting together a similar striker for the past few eveings(but grip is lenth-ways) with antler and burl.
This looks far more proffessional than mine though!

Well done.

atb
Ste

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Thank you all for the kind comments.

I was a maker on here a while ago and it was a great way of shifting the things I made and financing the hobby but it became a chore in the end,it was all knife sheaths and belts with the odd possibles pouch, plus my hands started to seize up.:(

I've considered re-registering as a maker but there really doesn't seem to be that much interest on here in the type of kit I'm making now. :rolleyes:

Steve

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Thank you all for the kind comments.

I was a maker on here a while ago and it was a great way of shifting the things I made and financing the hobby but it became a chore in the end,it was all knife sheaths and belts with the odd possibles pouch, plus my hands started to seize up.:(

I've considered re-registering as a maker but there really doesn't seem to be that much interest on here in the type of kit I'm making now. :rolleyes:

Steve

Your stuff was damn good and partly inspired me to start leatherwork...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE