tin can meths burner help needed

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chambers

Settler
Jan 1, 2010
Darlington
Fantastic, hopefully my last question before I have a go, I have seen about using a coin to pressurise it is that just a case of placing the coin over the fill holes?

Also will the wick ever have to be replaced or is it an infrequent event?

tenderfoot

Nomad
May 17, 2008
north west uk
Fantastic, hopefully my last question before I have a go, I have seen about using a coin to pressurise it is that just a case of placing the coin over the fill holes?

Also will the wick ever have to be replaced or is it an infrequent event?

Penny stove - great design ,but beware if you use it , if you let it burn down and then refuel and light it :-I had a penny stove go POP! and send a very hot penny about six feet vertical as the meths vapourised and ignited! patience is definitely a virtue when letting these things cool down adequately!

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
I have built about 20 of these pepsi can type stoves. You can build them open topped, with drill holes around the outer ring of the top, or closed top. On the closed top, you can put the drill holes around the top "gunwale" so to speak or around the side, down a bit from the top. Any style has pluses and negatives. I mostly like the side burner versions with a closed top.

Some observations: Leave out the insulation. I know many people put it in and it is absolutely unnecessary. The only thing I can see that the penny is good for is to stopper the fill hole so that pressure can build in the can. If you can find them and it is not easy -- you can buy rivets that are threaded on the inside and have a screw. This makes a great filler cap. Way better than the penny.

By all means, go the the Zen Stove website. Loaded with info. Best of all, is the templates that are available for downloading.

I do NOT cut the can to help get it started. I put a large round dowel rod in the inside and slowly rotate the can. As I rotate it i take a small coin (thinnest edged one available) and press down on the can for about 1 inch around the cut edge. This gives many, many little creases that reduce the size of that end of the can. Thus making them fit together more easily. Lubricate both cans prior to fitting them together.

You do not need tape, rivets, glue, etc. The press fit will not leak while the stove is in use.

All of my early stoves had too large of holes.

If you are building a pressurized stove, it has to have sufficient pressure to work. If you have a bunch of large holes it will never pressurize satisfactorily. If you have one with too large of holes, you may think it is burning quite nicely. (I did) until you build one with small holes. I use 24 holes drilled equidistant with the smallest drill in the Dremel drill pack.

Make some of all types, its fun, and it only cost 1 can of soda per stove. Sooner or later you will build one that will be so good it will scare you!

Good luck!

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
I do NOT cut the can to help get it started. I put a large round dowel rod in the inside and slowly rotate the can. As I rotate it i take a small coin (thinnest edged one available) and press down on the can for about 1 inch around the cut edge. This gives many, many little creases that reduce the size of that end of the can. Thus making them fit together more easily. Lubricate both cans prior to fitting them together.

I've had good results using a full, unopened can to flare out the outer can slightly. Fitting them together is a bit tricky, but it works without any creasing giving a very good seal.

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
Gregorach, I have heard of this trick, and have tried it but I guess that I'm just a bit too ham-handed as I split out and ruin most of the ones I try this technique on. However, it is a sound idea, I just don't seem to carry it out well.

I find the lube very helpful. So far the best i have come up with that is not very messy is to use the US army gun lube. It is a sort of cream colored glop that is thick as lubes go and doesnt run all over everything. Most military surplus type stores stock it here.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE